Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RIGHT on

Bettor -

Great job on the post dude.... said everything I feel about as well as can be written.

Thank you for putting it out there, I have thought the same on MANY occassions when others on this forum have gone on, & on, & on.... ZZzzzzzzz - about what a "bum deal" the poor SWA pilots are putting up with!;)

Personally - I hope that ALL furloughed pilots are recalled and it NEVER happens again in our industry. FAT chance that it will ever happen, but I honestly wish I could make it so....

Each of us has the ability to CHOOSE what we want from life, for me & my wife it just happens to be a career at SWA. Everyone else has the right to do whatever they want - I for one will NEVER give someone grief for making that decision.

Hope to see you on the line soon - Have a great weekend!
Tredding

RightBettor,

Very well said!! I, too had thought about clearing this up with these misguided folks and you explained it well. Good job!

Another point...another reason for SWA's profitable success comes from lower insurance rates. By having both pilots type rated, they pay much less on insurance than other airlines.

Higher pilot requirements equals lower insurance costs equals profitablity equals financial stability equals long term jobs equals the place I want to be!

That reminds me about another commuter, Gulfstream Int'l. When they were hiring street captains a few years back, they required a type rating on the BE-1900, if you didn't have one, then they provided one for cost.

RightBettor,

I don't agree with you still (I call it PFT because no other "major" has ever required a type rating, therefore SWA does require additional aviation related training, thus PFT)........but either way, good luck in your new career friend.

I am with you Righty... No crapping out on that post.

Here is how I can justify the type.

1. SWA is my dream job!

2. The rest of my list is meaningless but read on anyways!!

3. Average first year pay at SWA is 39,000

4. NWA first year pay is 35,000
I don't know numbers for everybody else

5. Hotel costs during training for NWA for my Pal were
$ 39 * 6 weeks * 7 Days = $1638

6. HPA type Rating 7380 - ($4000 (first year salary diff) + $1638 (hotel cost)) = $1742

1742 is a resonable price to pay for insane job security and one hell of a place to work!

I know that career earnings at SWA may not be as high as at the other majors but I know I am going to be one happy employed camper working for the best airline on the planet for the rest of my flying days. SWA works for me. If it doesn't work for you, I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of happiness at the airline of your choice.

BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION.... I COULD BE WRONG!!!

:D

OAK

Not to mention the tax deduction.....

Hey OAK,

Don't forget the tax deduction for the type from Uncle Sam; Now you've got a break even proposition AND a great job!

Latest resources

Back