Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commute to hold a line vs. living in base on reserve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Commute to an outstation base for a line? No! Early show, late finish, not worth it at all.

Commute to a hub city, worth considering if you're crew planning department doesnt such and actually builds commutable pairings.

However, commuting in theory is always different than the realities of commuting. I say live in base when able, a regional job sucks enough, no need to make it worse.

Commute to an outstation base for a line? No! Early show, late finish, not worth it at all.

Commute to a hub city, worth considering if you're crew planning department doesnt such and actually builds commutable pairings.

However, commuting in theory is always different than the realities of commuting. I say live in base when able, a regional job sucks enough, no need to make it worse.

^^^What he said.

I think it depends on what ones priorities are. There's a massive QOL boost that comes with living in base. However, you might have 3 kids to feed and might need the extra money, and be willing to sacrifice some QOL to get it. You could easily make 90-100 hours of pay with a line while you might only make 75-80 on reserve

Also, not all commutes are created equal. I live in PVD and commute to ORD, with only 2 nonstop flights a day to get there; the result is a 2 leg commute to and from work half the time. Contrast that with a guy commuting between LGA and ORD who has literally 50 flights per day to/from work and never has to wait more than 1/2 hour for a flight home.

Bottom line - the answer to your question will vary depending on who you ask.

Buxflyer is making the assumption of always being able to hold that line. That's a big assumption given what is going to occur in the coming years with respect to contract flying. And while Aussie brings up a good point, the reality is the planes are FULL all the damn time and you're the LAST one to get on typically.

If I were to consider a commute, I'd plan on adding TWO days to every tour. If you're Moses, then maybe just one. Every tour! Do the math on that and see how much you'll be home.

I fly about 30 or so segments a year as sometimes we don't finish a trip at home. So, we'll commute it when necessary, and we do it POSITIVE SPACE, and guess what? It STILL SUCKS!

Live in base man!

I would much prefer to sit reserve at home versus commuting to a line. I'm currently commuting again, and it is awful! When I was on reserve, I was often able to trade days around to get a weekend or holiday off. Not getting used all of the time was a huge bonus. I would get lots of work done around the house, go for bike rides, run errands, go to church on Sunday all while "working." Even the occasional ready reserve wasn't so bad. Basically get paid to be on break all day while reading the paper and drinking coffee.

Yes, it did have down sides like getting called out on Christmas Eve, or on your birthday, but overall it was much better than commuting.

I'm currently doing a hub to hub commute, which is probably a lot worse than doing outstation to hub. As soon as I can get a vacancy to transfer back home, I will take it!

Reserve @ home!!! I've lived in base and commuted. I'd give anything to sit reserve back at DFW again!!

Latest resources

Back