• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir in the Crosshairs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't understand why Continental doesn't drop these carriers. I mean it's their own image that is going to suffer... It's their logo painted on the tails of these planes.

I know, it's all about money!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What a cry-baby dork!

I guess this dork didn't do his homework regarding working conditions in this industry. The good-ole Dash doesn't fly many long-distance sectors - you will therefore end up flying many legs per day. Sounds like Daddy could just buy him an SR22 and he'd be happy.

Big lesson: do your homework before you join this industry!!!!! You ain't gonna get rich and you will likely get fatigued now and then.

Ask any pilot at Commutair and they will tell you what a dufus this guy was. He used to show up to work in grey dress pants rather than navy blue. The chief pilot put a stop to that one. He also used to wear mtc gloves and run his hands all along the airplane while he did his walk around. It was very creepy to watch. There are plenty more fun facts about him, but those are my two favorite.

Ask any pilot at Commutair and they will tell you what a dufus this guy was. He used to show up to work in grey dress pants rather than navy blue. The chief pilot put a stop to that one. He also used to wear mtc gloves and run his hands all along the airplane while he did his walk around. It was very creepy to watch. There are plenty more fun facts about him, but those are my two favorite.

not surprising....dude looks retaaaaaahdid!!!

not surprising....dude looks retaaaaaahdid!!!

Either his hips are near his nipples or his pants are not on his hips.

I was hired with 360 TT and 16.1 multi, with 1.3 multi PIC (my DE ride) all of which was gained over the course of 7 years. I've always done well academically and in previous professional jobs requiring many of the same skills good pilots need, but with my lack of flying experience, I now realize I had no business flying passengers in a 121 environment. However at the time I didn't even know it. I was told I was doing fine and I believed it. As the months went on and I gained experience, I started to realize how little I knew and how much I needed to learn. I can't imagine inexperienced F/O's that think they are gods gift to man because they graduated ERAU or Gulfstream and think they got the job because they are good. I made a concious effort to ask for criticism and suggestions because I knew I was subpar.

I certainly hope they increase the minimums drastically.

For all the talk about the stresses of flying, pilots say today's highly computerized cockpits relieve some of the cognitive demands of their job. Veteran United pilot Frederick Dubinsky says he taught his son to "fly" a Boeing 777 in a simulator in 45 minutes.
"Airplanes are big computer games, is all they are," he said. "Anyone who's sat in front of a Nintendo can do it."

Again, shows how out of touch some of our mainline "brothers" are. A big computer game, right....this guy obviously has either never flown or forgotten what the cockpit of an old turboprop looks like.

Again, shows how out of touch some of our mainline "brothers" are. A big computer game, right....this guy obviously has either never flown or forgotten what the cockpit of an old turboprop looks like.

Pretty smug words from that United guy. He may be playing more Nintendo at home with his son than he ever intended to.

If you guys have not written your local reps (House and Senate) then do so. Write to members of the Aviation Subcommittee http://transportation.house.gov/subcommittees/aviation_members.aspx which is within the Transportation and Infrustructure Committee. Express your desires you see that are required to improve this industry.
I have written to mine and expressed what I believe should change. Increase the standards so all pilots hired in Part 121 will have an ATP. Increase the rest hours to 10 minimum and don't include the ride to the hotel. No stand-up overnights period! No eye-washing of training events. Improved DNIF (sick-call) procedures to allow pilots to call-in sick without the pressure of a scheduler. These are but a few changes that could be made to increase the service (safety) the crews would provide.

To become an airline pilot... or not to become an airline pilot.....That is the million dollar question. I have flown on regional airlines, in bad and good weather, and I had no problems with these airlines.

I think that United guy's point was that while it may APPEAR to be simple, it's not. And, in fact, it gets real complicated real fast and can kill you and 250 other people in an instant.

There is NO substitute for experience and a 200 hour pilot has zero business being in the cockpit of an airliner.

Latest resources

Back