• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commutair Crew Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL... Shamrock, I think everybody was happier at CommutAir than you were. :D :D :D

Did you ever see The Shawshank Redemption? Kinda reminds me of this place....

"Believe what you want. These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. After long enough, you get so you depend on 'em."

That pretty well sums it up. Don't worry, though, I'm still trying to tunnel my way out. :D

CA1900 said:
No, we didn't. We served Newark, from ALB and (as you pointed out) PVD, and I've personally flown both city pairs. I assure you, CommutAir never had a crew base there. Metro or Brockway might have; I don't know. But those were different companies.

Dude, I'm to busy for this, check your facts (not that anyone really cares at this point) but commutair did have a EWR base it was the SECOND outstation base opened (early 1990), the first was ALB in late 1989. No, it was not Metro/Brockway/Clinton AERO/Air North.

It was probably before your time, so in YOUR MIND it did not exist.

Who is this CA1900? another talking head expert?

AutoBus said:
Dude, I'm to {sic} busy for this...

And yet you still found time for a flippant remark. I guess you aren't too busy for it, or you wouldn't be posting.

If my facts are in error, so be it. I've been here long enough to see a dozen crew bases close. I guess I wasn't here quite long enough to see that one die, too. I wasn't here when the headquarters was still in a single-wide.

Thanks, how do the upgrades vary from 1-3 years, kinda a big spread?

How can it vary so much? It all depends on how the company's doing, and whether people are moving out to other companies or not. In 2000, we had people upgrading who had been there about 14 months. People hired a year later than them waited almost three years for upgrade, because the company furloughed half the pilots and cut the fleet in half in August of 2001. (Yes, we planned ahead for 9/11. Har.)

A couple of years later, we were able to enter the Cleveland market. Continental Express's union was able to negotiate jobs for their furloughees with CommutAir as part of that deal. Those folks were caught up in our rapid expansion, and upgraded in less than a year.

So things change very quickly, and with very little notice. For all I know, half a dozen Dash-8s could show up on property, and we'd have a big hiring/upgrade spree. I wouldn't count on that :D , but you never know.

Right now, it's mainly FOs that are leaving for other regionals, so while there are new-hires, there are few upgrades. The company's not expanding right now, and there's talk of reducing the number of airplanes. Obviously, that hurts upgrades.

I think the current group that just upgraded has been here a little over a year and a half.

CA1900 said:
Continental Express's union was able to negotiate jobs for their furloughees with CommutAir as part of that deal. Those folks were caught up in our rapid expansion, and upgraded in less than a year.
Oops, that must have made some people real happy! I really appreciate the good info.

Glad to help, and yes, it sure did make those folks happy. The bulk of them ended up going back to the right seat in the RJ at Continental Express, but we had half a dozen that stayed on here as captains instead. It's all a gamble. :D

Latest resources

Back