Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure thing:

PLB, BOS, CLE, ALB.

Always subject to change, usually on short notice and right after you sign a lease or buy a house. :D We've closed down more domiciles than I can count since I've been here.

The bulk of the eastern flying recently moved from ALB to BOS, so I wouldn't be surprised if ALB were next to close.

CA1900 said:
Sure thing:

PLB, BOS, CLE, ALB.

Always subject to change, usually on short notice and right after you sign a lease or buy a house. :D We've closed down more domiciles than I can count since I've been here.

The bulk of the eastern flying recently moved from ALB to BOS, so I wouldn't be surprised if ALB were next to close.

No UCA or EWR bases?

AutoBus said:
No UCA or EWR bases?

We've never had a EWR base, and we don't fly in there. We used to do ALB-EWR for USAir, but that was a long time ago.

We used to have a combined UCA/SYR base (you were on your own dime to get between them, ~50 miles away, so it wasn't such a great deal), but it closed a while back. (A couple years, I think?) UCA lost its air service as soon as the federal subsidy went away. No loss, truly -- we were flying empty planes to JFK, while people in UCA were driving to SYR to take the cheap JetBlue flight......to JFK. Your tax dollars at work. :D

As for hiring, I have no idea. We're still advertising for pilots and I see some new faces here and there, but I'm not sure what the current hiring picture is.

CA1900 said:
We've never had a EWR base, and we don't fly in there. We used to do ALB-EWR for USAir, but that was a long time ago.

We used to have a combined UCA/SYR base (you were on your own dime to get between them, ~50 miles away, so it wasn't such a great deal), but it closed a while back. (A couple years, I think?) UCA lost its air service as soon as the federal subsidy went away. No loss, truly -- we were flying empty planes to JFK, while people in UCA were driving to SYR to take the cheap JetBlue flight......to JFK. Your tax dollars at work. :D

As for hiring, I have no idea. We're still advertising for pilots and I see some new faces here and there, but I'm not sure what the current hiring picture is.

Actually you did have a EWR base, after CommutAir took over the old Holiday Airlines EWR to PVD run.

Hows the pay, life and pass benis? I am planning on getting furloughed soon.

AutoBus said:
Actually you did have a EWR base, after CommutAir took over the old Holiday Airlines EWR to PVD run.

No, we didn't. We served Newark, from ALB and (as you pointed out) PVD, and I've personally flown both city pairs. I assure you, CommutAir never had a crew base there. Metro or Brockway might have; I don't know. But those were different companies.

jws717 said:
Hows the pay, life and pass benis? I am planning on getting furloughed soon.

Well, pay and benefits are better than a furloughee, I guess. :D

Pay's atrocious -- $16/hr for the first 90 days, $18/hr after that. $1/hour/year raise until upgrade, which goes anywhere from 1 year to 3 right now. Captains are $30/hr for the first year as captain (no matter how many years you've been with the company), $1.20/hour/year raise after that. The annual increase is not quite enough to compensate for inflation.

Quality of life isn't bad once you get into the top half of your base's seniority. Everybody works 16 out of 28 days, minimum. No extra days off for seniority. Everybody has the same minimum hours per bid. No shorter months for seniority, either.

Pass benefits are fair. We get non-rev travel for free on CommutAir for pilots, their spouses, kids, and parents. We can non-rev on Continental for their regular pass prices, which run (I believe) $12.50 one-way coach, $42.50 first-class, for domestic travel. International is substantially more. Our boarding priority is behind Continental's employees, Expressjet's employees, and behind retirees. We're dead last, and usually get left behind if the flight's even close to full.

So there you go. It's not a bad place to work at all -- the people are nice, the airplanes are well-maintained. But pay and benefits aren't one of the top reasons I'd use to pick it. :D

CA1900 said:
So there you go. It's not a bad place to work at all -- the people are nice, the airplanes are well-maintained. :D

OK, who kidnapped CA1900 and replaced him with this guy?

Latest resources

Back