Commercial Ticket

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seattle

How many hours did it take you once you started flight training for your commercial ticket? Thanks.

Seattle

Sorry I wasn't being clear.

Once you started your flight training for the commercial ticket, then how many hours in the airplane did it take? I'm trying to figure how many nights after work I'll be comming home late. Thanks again.

Seattle

PS: I am a slow learner, so maybe it will take me 250 additional flight hours :)

Commercial ticket

TDTurbo is 100% correct. I got my Commercial before I got my Instrument. Big mistake. At that time I wasn't training for a career and was earning ratings because I wanted to be a good pilot. I had taken my Commercial written first. I was working overnights, 2000-0600, and my instructor, who only taught part-time, wasn't available until 5:00 p.m. So, my training was not under the best circumstances and it took me a while to learn and get ready. I lost count of the hours; it was too many. At that time I really didn't care that much, but I was getting very frustrated. I think the problem in large part had to with not having my control touch honed through the precision of flying instruments. I noticed the difference first-hand in how much my flying improved after I got my instrument rating.

You have your instrument rating, so, hopefully you have "the touch." A lot of people (more than a lot, actually) have trouble with Lazy 8s. Lazy 8s seem to require a lot of time. I needed a lot of time with them. People otherwise do fine with chandelles and steep turns if they learned the Private constant-altitude turns properly. Some people have trouble at first with 8's-on-pylons. Most people do fine with soft-field takeoffs and landings and max performance takeoffs, but many have trouble with max performance landings. Take it from someone who knows - it is tough to train after work. You shouldn't need all that many hours if you can fly regularly and get the help you need from your instructor.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
With a recently acquired instrument and me rating:
17 hours for the initial rating in a single.
for the me add 10 hours... most of which was spent remembering checklists.

Seattle

From your profile it looks like you have your instrument rating already and you have 300hrs Total time. if this is true.
do you already have the appropriate time in certain areas?
such as 100pic, 50hrs X-country, and a few other areas
look at FAR 61.129 to get the specifics.
If you have the appropriate time requirements which it appears you may, then it shouldn't take anymore then 5 to 10 hrs +- a few to fine tune things. with a few ground lessons to learn commercial regs and other stuff.
Along with a couple extra manuvers to learn, it is basically fine tuning what you've already been taught.

Thanks guys. Get'n started this weekend - weather permitting. I have most of the other requirements out of the way, so I'm hoping I can bang it out in a week or two.

A commercial rating, my amount of total flight time, and a quarter will get me a phone call. Just one of those things that needs to get done. Thanks again.

Seattle

Latest resources

Back