• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comm rating questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The drag demo is done for the Private ME ticket, while it's replaced with a Vmc demo for the Commercial ME. Otherwise the rides are the same.

I should clarify that my above post refers to the Multi add-on checkrides. Dunno about the initial.

I think it is cheaper to do your commercial in a single. The cross countries would get expensive in the twin. After you get your se comm. the multi add on has only a three hour dual requirement. The three hours would be taken care of easily while shooting approaches and reviewing the other items that will be on the check ride.

Vmc Demo

You still have Vmc Demo for both, i.e. Engine Inoperative Loss of Control Demonstration. It is under Area of Operation X, Task C for the Private, and Area of Operation VIII, Task C for the Commercial in their respective PTSs.

Apparently there is no more drag demo for either Private or Commercial Multi.

I pulled my PTS references off of http://afs600.faa.gov/search.asp?my...ub=630&lev=Amn&title=Practical+Test+Standards .

I still think the drag demo is worthwhile to demonstrate at least once during the course.

Last edited:
Well dagnabbit bobby, you are right! I verified it myself just now. Did it ever use to be the way that I mentioned? I swear I had a conversation with a Private ME student last month about the differences in our checkrides, and this very thing was mentioned. I even walked him through the process I use for the Vmc demo. I must be dreaming. The DE owns the flight school, but there's no way they're misinterpreting the PTS - the drag demo isn't even mentioned. Hmmmm....

Heh - it's been awhile since I've looked through the Private PTS!

Latest resources

Back