• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vballindaytona

applying to regionals/few questions.

hey guys

im a freight hauler that is thinking about making the move to the regionals. I plan on applying to Xjet and SkyWest. Currently have 2300TT with 1900 Multi (all right seat learjet). I am reading that the upgrades with these companies are about 2 years. My question is would I have the potential of upgrading quicker than the normal applicant with 600TT. if that is the case I understand that in that situation you would be a captain on reserve for quite a while. is this right? not trying to flame anything, I just don't really know how this works in the 121 world since I have only flown 135. Any news on the SAT base for Xjet being junior/senior? chance of getting it in training? Thanks for the information. just trying to make sure I know the whole picture before i quit $50/yr to $20/yr. thanks.

Last edited:
hey guys

im a freight hauler that is thinking about making the move to the regionals. I plan on applying to Xjet and SkyWest. Currently have 2300TT with 1900 Multi (all right seat learjet). I am reading that the upgrades with these companies are about 2 years. My question is would I have the potential of upgrading quicker than the normal applicant with 600TT. if that is the case I understand that in that situation you would be a captain on reserve for quite a while. not trying to flame anything, I just don't really know how this works in the 121 world since I have only flown 135. Any news on the SAT base for Xjet being junior/senior? chance of getting it in training? Thanks for the information.

Upgrading quicker: no. you upgrade based on seniority - not flight time or other experience.

No one can say how long you may be on reserve. I was on reserve for several years....most of our new hires now are on reserve only a few months. It all just depends on where you are based and how much flying is happening at that particular time.

SAT base is confirmed. Bidding is currently open for it. No idea on how junior or senior it will go - ONT went very junior.

Good luck on whatever you decide. You'll love XJT if you get on here.

T2S

hey guys

im a freight hauler that is thinking about making the move to the regionals. I plan on applying to Xjet and SkyWest. Currently have 2300TT with 1900 Multi (all right seat learjet). I am reading that the upgrades with these companies are about 2 years. My question is would I have the potential of upgrading quicker than the normal applicant with 600TT. if that is the case I understand that in that situation you would be a captain on reserve for quite a while. not trying to flame anything, I just don't really know how this works in the 121 world since I have only flown 135. Any news on the SAT base for Xjet being junior/senior? chance of getting it in training? Thanks for the information.

Well, lets say airline A requires a total time of 3000 and 500 on type for upgrade, you will reach that 3000 number faster than the lets say a new-hire (same seniority as you) and you will be able to upgrade even though both of you have 500 on type.

On the other hand, there might be a much senior pilot who has way more than 500 on the type but hasn't reached the 3000 TT yet, he/she will displace you or have a seniority and would be able to outbid you when he/she reached the 3000 mark. So, potentially, yes, you can upgrade faster than someone who's been there much longer than you and than those in your new-hire class who have less time than you.

This is my understanding as told by one of my friends flying for an all-jet operator. I would like someone to clarify as my info is indirect.

Hope this helps.
Shaheen

hey guys

im a freight hauler that is thinking about making the move to the regionals. I plan on applying to Xjet and SkyWest. Currently have 2300TT with 1900 Multi (all right seat learjet). I am reading that the upgrades with these companies are about 2 years. My question is would I have the potential of upgrading quicker than the normal applicant with 600TT. if that is the case I understand that in that situation you would be a captain on reserve for quite a while. is this right? not trying to flame anything, I just don't really know how this works in the 121 world since I have only flown 135. Any news on the SAT base for Xjet being junior/senior? chance of getting it in training? Thanks for the information. just trying to make sure I know the whole picture before i quit $50/yr to $20/yr. thanks.

At SkyWest you need 2500 tt and 1000 multi-turbine-crew(121 or 135) to upgrade, you are basically there, the last BRO upgrade went at about 8 months on property, there are many cfi types in the bro (like myself ) who don't have the tt/or crew time to upgrade.
good luck

Upgrading quicker: no. you upgrade based on seniority - not flight time or other experience.

Not entirely true at SKW. You need 2500 TT & 1000 turbine crew to upgrade. So pilots senior to you who came from cfi-land will get passed over for upgrade, allowing you to upgrade earlier than you would have otherwise.

Does XJet not have any time requirements to upgrade other than ATP?

Downside is that the senior, less-experienced pilot who got bypassed will eventually get his time and upgrade...and he will be ahead of you for bidding in domicile.

Greetings...If I were you I would go to Expressjet and stay away from Skywest. I fly for ASA but know people at expressjet and they are overall pretty happy. Their mgt also has a fairly descent working relationship with the pilot group.

Take care

hey guys

No chance for an uprgade where you presently are? It certainly wouldn't be good to leave that opportunity just to find out the regional that promised you a two-year upgrade suddenly stops growing, and you're stuck earning $30-$40k for several years with no P.I.C. time in sight.

When I made the move from freight to regional, I had over 3600 t.t., 2200 multi, single-pilot experience, and an ATP (no turbine time or crew experience though). During the interview, the H.R. "salespeople" told all of us the company would double in size over the next two years...and that we'd all have the opportunity to become Captains in less than two years. They told the handful of us (three) who had the level of experience we did that we'd have the opportunity to upgrade within a year...because current F.O.'s didn't have enough total time to upgrade.

Four years later the company opened a domicile in a part of the world very few people who've ever lived anywhere else in the U.S. want to live. Finally we got our chance to upgrade!

Of course, during that four years, every F.O. junior to us got enough total time to meet the company minimum, so in the end we weren't able to "jump in front of" anyone else after all.

Beware the snake oil salespeople who work H.R. at any aviation-related company. Their job is to sell you on coming to work for them. Unfortunately we tend to be so focused on impressing them with our qualifications, we forget to ask the tough questions we should be asking during the interview.

Seniority is an investment you make in the company you work for. Keep this in mind when making a decision where to invest your assets. Best of luck with the transition and your career.

Latest resources

Back