Comair's got a T.A.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Passing out the Kool Aid

Yes but they dont have the balls to do so!...I understand the whole providing for the family etc, but if 50%, even 30%, said we resign, it would be impossible for comair to function and bring the momentum back in your favor.
And the kicker, its all legal.

The true problem with the whole resignation "equation" is that Comair Management/Delta Management could care less about Comair. Comair is worth more in parts than as a whole. Also there are too many pilots at Comair who have decided to make this place their career and that in combination with no college degree equals little or no opportunity (academy guys). Also getting a guy who is making $85K to $105k to resign when his pay cut is less than 10% will be impossible. Then take the guys who have been here 8-12 years, they are starting to make some money and going somewhere else and starting over at $35k to $40k, a majority of their wives/husbands aren't going to let that happen.

Those three group make up a large portion of the pilot group who will vote yes to the TA. Just like January 2006 it was 9 votes that potentially screwed the pilot group. I say vote no...and get ready to spit blood. This ride is going to suck.

Also there are too many pilots at Comair who have decided to make this place their career and that in combination with no college degree equals little or no opportunity (academy guys).
Hey putz, many academy guys have degrees and many had non aviation careers but they got into this hell hole of an industry. There is a small minority who went into flying directly out of high school who, you're right, this is about all they've got, but next time leave your broad generalizations to yourself, thanks.

What?

Hey putz, many academy guys have degrees and many had non aviation careers but they got into this hell hole of an industry. There is a small minority who went into flying directly out of high school who, you're right, this is about all they've got, but next time leave your broad generalizations to yourself, thanks.

"Academy guys" is not a broad generalization, it is an example of some of the pilots in the Comair fold who chose to attend a flight training school that offers no college credit or college course study for students attending training. I believe I could also use "ATP" or "Serria Academy," but I am not 100% sure. But it is a well known fact that the majority at Comair come from Delta Connections Academy. Relax and take a deep breath...I am only using the information to make a point. You don't have to defend the academy choice...nobody cares. It's just information.

Holy Moly!

Barking at Comair pilots about a T.A. you haven't seen?

The Comair pilot group was shuffling to the gallows thanks to the clever manipulation of the Commerical Agreement by Delta management, the management-friendly environment of Bankruptcy Court, and the willingness of other judges to step in and carry management's water....and we're blaming the Comair pilots?

That's a stupid as Bill O'Reilly claiming that kidnapped boy was living the good life with his abuser!

The fact that they negotiated terms indicates they kept their wits about them in a situation where half the posters here are interested in working there...and the other half are screaming for Comair pilots to jump off the ledge "for the good of the profession".

Now we know what the script would look like if they let McLean patients write a sitcom...

Holy Moly!

Barking at Comair pilots about a T.A. you haven't seen?

The Comair pilot group was shuffling to the gallows thanks to the clever manipulation of the Commerical Agreement by Delta management, the management-friendly environment of Bankruptcy Court, and the willingness of other judges to step in and carry management's water....and we're blaming the Comair pilots?

That's a stupid as Bill O'Reilly claiming that kidnapped boy was living the good life with his abuser!

The fact that they negotiated terms indicates they kept their wits about them in a situation where half the posters here are interested in working there...and the other half are screaming for Comair pilots to jump off the ledge "for the good of the profession".

Now we know what the script would look like if they let McLean patients write a sitcom...

Occam...you always are a voice of reason and it always amazes me. On this forum that is equal parts rare and ignored.

"Academy guys" is not a broad generalization, it is an example of some of the pilots in the Comair fold who chose to attend a flight training school that offers no college credit or college course study for students attending training. I believe I could also use "ATP" or "Serria Academy," but I am not 100% sure. But it is a well known fact that the majority at Comair come from Delta Connections Academy. Relax and take a deep breath...I am only using the information to make a point. You don't have to defend the academy choice...nobody cares. It's just information.

Just for your information, the Delta Connection Academy has college programs at many locations throughout the United States. All of these programs are run in conjunction with a college program (like Embry Riddle). These college programs have more students enrolled than the main Delta Connection Academy campus in Sanford, Florida. So it is safe to say that the MAJORITY of Delta Connection Academy graduates now have their college degrees. This conclusion excludes the Sanford, Florida students that started the program with a college degree already in hand.

So I guess that means the minority of Delta Connection Academy Graduates complete the program without a degree.

Last edited:
Jonny,

Can you post any actual numbers, or are you just guessing? I left Comair in November 2005 after 6 years there. And an overwhelming majority of the Comair Academy grads had no degree.

I have two things I almost always think about when people ask me about the people who went to the Comair Academy. (I didn't even know the Comair Aviation Academy existed until I started Basic Indoc at Comair.) First off, I thought it was funny that whenever I was doing the crew briefing and asking where the FO was from that without fail their answer was: "I graduated from the Academy". To which I'd ask "Air Force Academy?" No. "Naval Academy?" No. Taking flying lessons from some flight school is a hell of a lot different (to me anyway) than "graduating from the Academy."

The other observation is that the Comair Academy folks were either A.) really sharp pilots, or B.) just a complete disaster. In my experience, there wasn't much middle ground. I don't know if that was just a function of the individuals involved, or something to do with the curriculum. Who knows?

Anyway, I'd like to see some facts about the percentage of Comair pilots with degrees...

Just for your information, the Delta Connection Academy has college programs at many locations throughout the United States. All of these programs are run in conjunction with a college program (like Embry Riddle). These college programs have more students enrolled than the main Delta Connection Academy campus in Sanford, Florida. So it is safe to say that the MAJORITY of Delta Connection Academy graduates now have their college degrees. This conclusion excludes the Sanford, Florida students that started the program with a college degree already in hand.

So I guess that means the minority of Delta Connection Academy Graduates complete the program without a degree.

Jonny,

Can you post any actual numbers, or are you just guessing? I left Comair in November 2005 after 6 years there. And an overwhelming majority of the Comair Academy grads had no degree.

I have two things I almost always think about when people ask me about the people who went to the Comair Academy. (I didn't even know the Comair Aviation Academy existed until I started Basic Indoc at Comair.) First off, I thought it was funny that whenever I was doing the crew briefing and asking where the FO was from that without fail their answer was: "I graduated from the Academy". To which I'd ask "Air Force Academy?" No. "Naval Academy?" No. Taking flying lessons from some flight school is a hell of a lot different (to me anyway) than "graduating from the Academy."

The other observation is that the Comair Academy folks were either A.) really sharp pilots, or B.) just a complete disaster. In my experience, there wasn't much middle ground. I don't know if that was just a function of the individuals involved, or something to do with the curriculum. Who knows?

Anyway, I'd like to see some facts about the percentage of Comair pilots with degrees...

Fact 1: I am a Comair Pilot
Fact 2: I am an Academy Grad with a degree
Fact 3: This topic proves nothing.
Fact 4: Who Cares!!!!

Got a degree and went to DCA. So freakin' what? Are you trying to imply that people that go to DCA aren't college grads? You will be suprised how many people their have a college degree. It still doesn't change that DCA blows chunks.

I am a Comair Capt and recieved a degree (actually three of them) from real schools. Thank God I did, because as soon as the house is sold in CVG, I am out of this Walmartized business for good.

If you decide or are forced out of aviation, what the heck are you going to do with a degree from ERAU, or DCA, or UND? I never understood the Aviation degree as it is not required or even preferential in hiring for a pilot position. But if you go for a business management position or anything other than aviation they look at that ERAU as a step below Pheonix University Online BS degree.

Sorry, but those are the facts!

So why do people go spend their $$$ at ERAU or DCA instead of going to college and getting a BSBA or MS and flying on the side?

Latest resources

Back