Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey 172driver,

Don't let them get to you. You hang in there and when you finish your instructing program and get the time, you'll get your interview. With the positive attitude you have, you'll probably get the job too.

Your detractors are probably a group of folks that haven't made it yet or got rejected. As for somebody that compares gettin a job at Commutair to a job at Comair well, he just doesn't have a clue. Feel sorry for him, don't get upset.

Hope to see you on line before too long. When you're sitting in the CL-65 you won't have to worry any more about the critique from the envious.

C academy is far from being god's gift to aviation and it IS too expensive, but if you finish the internship in the CFI program you will get the interview. If you're lucky enough to be hired by Comair, your seniority number will be 2 years ahead of folks with similar experience. What's more, you'll be working for an airline, not a commuter.

Good luck.

Hey 172,

I'm gald your happy. However you should wait until you get out of a 172 before you go back and critique your training. You don't know anything different. This post would have had more credibility if you had graduated from Comair (or whatever they do) and had a couple years of "real world" flying before declaring Comair the best.

S.

Just to show that Commutair (which is a decent company) isn't the only one hiring low time pilots...

"Who do you know that has been HIRED with 1000/100 from an FBO since 9/11??? I seriously doubt it. Probably closer to 3000/300."

There are 2 pilots posting on the Regional portion of the Interview Message Board here that just got interviews with around 1600TT. Don't just assume things so readily. You don't need 3000TT to get hired by a regional right now. You need to have a wide network of people who know you as a good pilot. With that, you will get letters of reccomendation, good words said, resumes hand delivered, etc. That is how to get interviews in good and bad times in aviation. Posting poor assumptions when you don't have the experience to back it up is not a good way to make contacts on this board. I have personally acquired a flying job directly because of contact with people on this board. Network, network, NETWORK!!!:)

Thanks for the good words Surplus. To the others...nobody said Comair was wonderful or "the best." I've been close to leaving for the higher pay and hours of the part 61 world several times and have many friends who have done so. Most of these friends will join me at the regionals and have higher time than I right now. However, not one of them has more than 30 hrs of ME time, nor do they know where to get it. All I said was that the program works. I don't need outside experience to see that. I have seen over a hundred CFI's go to regionals after the academy. No, this is absolutely not the only way to get there. It may not even be the best way. Everybody has different situations...especially family and financial. For me, it works...I needed to borrow the $$$ and get through quickly, thus part 61 didn't work for me. I stand by my statement that it is a tried and true way to get to the regionals....the quality regionals. Besides, how many CFI's out there have Delta travel benefits?

About low time hires - I think they will start occuring more and more. Commutair is hiring at 900/100, and you can get an interview with around that time. I think a lot of regionals don't want the super experienced guys because the regionals know that these guys will be gone as soon as the industry recovers (which it is already in the process of doing).

Also, I lot of major airline pilots who were furloughed are not going back to regionals (except flow back agreements). I have talked with several who have no intention of looking for a regional job. They can't take the pay cut and they don't want to work that hard! These guys have seniority numbers at major airlines. They can collect unemployment for a length of time, and then most of them are doing a lot outside of aviation. Some are military, landscapers, bartenders, mr. moms, etc.

So I don't think people should be getting all bent out of shape because there are a lot of high time pilots on the street. Yes you will see them at your regional interviews, but if you have a good interview, you will get the job. A company doesn't fly you out to have an interview without the intention of hiring you (or so I've been told). For most places, its your interview to blow.

And about ComAir, I had an instructor that went through the program but they didn't hire him as an instructor. D@mn good guy, and good pilot. So I don't know what kind of show they running.

----
Three times one minus one is gonna make a'ight

I don't know any specifics, but a friend of mine who just finished the sim at Comair said there was nobody in his class from the academy. In fact all but one in his class (of about 25) had prior 121 experience. The only guy who didn't have 121 experience had corporate experience and a lot of time.

I have no problem with you expressing an opinion about the Comair Academy, I'm sure it turns out fine pilots. You are trying to make a point that post 09/11 hiring atmosphere has given you and advantage. You can't sell the fact that the Academy folks whom are getting the interviews now knew 18 months ago that industry hiring would be so greatly influenced by the events of 09/11. Nor can you say what is going to be driving hiring trends 18 months from now.

From my experience it has never been about where I did my training (Part 61), but what I took from that training. I am extremely fortunate to have had opportunities present themselves that have allowed me to progress towards my career goals. Never once have I creditied my training experience as a factor in whether I got an interview or a job. Experience yes....where I did my primary training...no! Good luck!

True, true, and true again. Before 9/11, and especially during the strike, I thought I may not have been in such a good place. Fickle business we're in...could change tomorrow. I loved the training I did part 61...much more freedom to work on the things that NEED to be worked on, instead of what the lesson sheet says. Part 61, like 141, really depends on the quality of the people in the airplane, not the rules they're operating under. My original intent with these posts was to let confused future students know what this option (141--Comair) is like. I am not, again, not, saying rah, rah Comair or that 141 is the way to go. Excuuuse me to all those who jumped on me about defending my school. It's just that I see so much negativity on the boards about every option, thought I'd throw some positive words out there. Everybody seems to say ...I would've done it differently, even if they're now driving Boeings. Why do pilots complain so much? Don't y'all like what you're doing?

Latest resources

Back