Comair. Would you do it all over again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
V-1 said:

Thanks for asking me to clarify the confusion I created, Surplus1. My apologies again.

Regards,
V-1

V-1, there is no reason to clarify or apologize. Most of the informed know what you meant. I think Guam360 said it best.

I bet Surplus1 doesnt even realize Comair went on strike with a mass exodus that followed.

lets get back to the subject, if you work for comair would you do it again or would you go to another regional? and what makes comair so great or not?

i get what you're saying, but to make the must informed desicion i can i need the information of others. i know what my conditions i have to weight but want the advice of those in the direction i'm headed, since they're where i want to be.

V-1 said:
There's ACA, but they fly the slow, unreliable Dornier jet.

I get paid more to fly that slow Dorkjet around than most regional guys get paid to fly the 50 seat CRJ or ERJ (yes, I relize Comair isn't on that list). Not a bad thing, considering the 328 is nothing more than a EMB-120 with a couple extra seats and is in fact smaller than a Dash 8. Granted, it's a helluva lot nicer, though!

There probably are some good reasons not to come to ACA, but the Dornier isn't one of them. The fact our growth (projected today) will stop in 2004 is a better one (that's the end of our scheduled aircraft delieveries, hiring for attrition (what attrition?) only after that). However, two years is a long time and who knows what will happen between now and then. If DAL or UAL wants us to get more Dorniers (or another A/C), our company can do it.

For anyone out there lucky enought to pick between airlines, go with the one that has a base close to where you want to live. Commuting sucks, and it looks like we're all going to be at the regionals a lot longer than most of us thought.

Skywest might be an option if you want to live among Mormons in Salt Lake City.

Hey I love Mormons...they taste just like chicken!!

Just kidding. SLC is great & SkyWest is awesome. And SLC isn't our only base. We've got 'em in CO, AZ, OR, and lots in CA.

I'm not Mormon, but guess what...I don't have an attitude about them, and I get along great.

So if you have a problem or an attitude---stay away, we don't want you anyway.

Guam360 said:
Surplus1,
are you smoking crack again, for three or four years in a row, ending Oct. 1999. Everyone, EVERYONE, paid $11,000, for their job. You were too old and senior to even care.

You are correct, I am old and senior. I'm also very familar with the "Comair Academy" and its $10 or $11K AQP program. It is true that prospective employees of Comair had to attend a program there prior to employment but that program didn't "buy" anyone a job. It is OK with me to call it PFT or not as you prefer. Whatever it was, it was not desirable.

I take issue with your statement that I didn't care. If you knew who I am and what role I played, including with relation to that "program" and its elimination, you would not say what you did.

I'll chalk it up to your lack of knowledge and forget it but I will say this, much of what you have at Comair today, you have because of my work and my efforts, along with many other dedicated people. Enjoy it.

Take the chip off your shoulder and try to become a Comair pilot more than in name.

Last edited:
Say what you will about the Dornier Jet, but unless you're flying something military, nothing outclimbs it.

Nothing like chiming the F/A 1 min and 52 seconds after takeoff. (I love doing that when off-line folk are in the back.)

V-1 said:

Thanks for asking me to clarify the confusion I created, Surplus1. My apologies again. I enjoy reading your posts and hope to fly with you someday. Maybe I already have.

Regards,
V-1

Thank you for your reply. There is no need to apologize, I just wanted to understand where you were coming from and now I do. I appreciate your taking the time.

I'm sorry that the AQP kept you from getting here sooner. It was a bad program and the pilot group never wanted it or approved of it. We finally got it eliminated.

The Comair union did not mount a crusade against it for two reasons: 1) the pilots in the program were not employees of Comair and 2) our contract already contained a prohibition against any Comair pilot paying for training.

It was not possible for us to negotiate a provision of our contract that covered a subsidiary of Comair Holdings, Inc., which is what the "Academy" was. I know the ads say that the Academy is owned by the Airline, but in reality it never has been. That is admittedly a technicality, but it is one that precludes our ability to negotiate anything that happens there. Pilots in the AQP were not employees of the airline and were not guaranteed that they would become employees of the airline (although many did and I have little doubt that the Academy people "sold it" that way.) In fact, it was similar to the SWA type rating deal, except you didn't have the option of doing it elsewhere if you wanted to work at Comair. Many "graduates" of the AQP also went to other airlines. Therefore, Comair pilots decided to invest their negotiating capital elsewhere.

I didn't mean to "rag" on you and if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

In responding to the basic question of the thread, the answer for me is YES, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You must understan V-1 that I am a real Comair pilot. What I feel and how I feel about Comair pilots is difficult to put into words. By that I mean I'm not passing time, not trying to get experience to go somewhere else, have been here long enough to know a little about the good times and the not so good times and to contribute something to the culture of Comair. If any Comair pilot is threatened, I'll not hesitate to come to his defense.

After you've been here a while you will learn that "culture". If you like it, it will be great to have you on board. If you don't, then I hope you'll be able to move on to whatever you prefer.

All I ask is that while you are here, be and act like a Comair pilot and make us all proud to share with you. If you decide to leave, try to leave what you found a little bit better than it was when you got here. I hope that's not to much to ask.

In other words, stand shoulder to shoulder with your fellow Comair pilots and help to keep us the proud and outstanding people that we are. Don't ever look down on another pilot, and that includes those that are not Comair pilots. If you find a brother lacking, put out your hand and help him to rise up. Don't ever step on him, just because you can.

If you are willing to do those things, you are welcome among us. Whatever you paid or didn't pay is irrelevant.

Maybe we will share a cockpit one day and maybe not. In either case, nice talking with you and best wishes.

Best regards,
Surplus1
CMR

Last edited:
RJPilott said:

I bet Surplus1 doesnt even realize Comair went on strike with a mass exodus that followed.

Surplus1 IS a Comair pilot. Yes, some people left during the strike, but "mass exodus"? That's baloney.

surplus1 said:

All I ask is that while you are here, be and act like a Comair pilot and make us all proud to share with you. If you decide to leave, try to leave what you found a little bit better than it was when you got here. I hope that's not to much to ask.

I understand your feelings towards Comair and the efforts you've made to build the company and improve working conditions for fellow pilots. As I stated, had you and our fellow Comair brothers not refused to blink during last year's strike, my career path would most likely have taken a different path. Because of your efforts, I enjoy better workrules and pay than the overwhelming majority of regional airline pilots. The efforts of you and our Comair brothers are why I decided to pursue a career at Comair again. It's a great place to be now, and appears it will be in the future. I'll do my part to facilitate that future.

Latest resources

Back