Comair. Would you do it all over again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shark

if you had to do it all over agin would you go to comair, or would you go with another regional. What are you reason(s).

Is this a serious question? ;)

This industry changes constantly. The "best" regional airline today may be one of the "worst" places to work tomorrow. Today, from what I read, Comair is one of the premier regional airlines. Two years ago I had no intention of working for them, because I couldn't justify buying a $1200/mo. job. Plus, they've already hired over 180 pilots so far this year.

Would you rather be junior today at American Eagle, Mesa, Mesaba, CoEx, or any of the U.S. Airways feeders?

That doesn't leave many desirable places to work at this time. There's ASA, they still have turboprops though and, not to berate those airplanes, if given a choice, I'd prefer to fly a jet. There's ACA, but they fly the slow, unreliable Dornier jet. Skywest might be an option if you want to live among Mormons in Salt Lake City. I think you have to know someone at Air Wisconsin to get hired there, as my ATP, 3600 t.t. and 2200 multi flown in Michigan's worst weather was only good for a "Sorry, but you aren't what we're looking for at this time." letter last summer.

For me, it wasn't a question of which regional to work for, it was whether to work for a regional at all. ExecJet had some great opportunities, and still does. It was a tough call, but I think, for now, I made the right choice.

Of course, if ASA's pilot group manages to squeeze Comair +20% from their management during contract negotiations, I might wish I'd wanted to fly a Brasilia a year ago! Good luck to my brothers at ASA!

Actually, there are far more CRJ's at ACA than there are DoJets. It seems like most of the new hires are going into the CRJ. Besides, on most of the routes the time difference is only about 10 mins or so according to people who have flown them. But I would rather fly our mighty J41 than be miserable at some of the other operations out there.

V-1 said:
Today, from what I read, Comair is one of the premier regional airlines. Two years ago I had no intention of working for them, because I couldn't justify buying a $1200/mo. job. Plus, they've already hired over 180 pilots so far this year.

Interesting, but you left me somewhat confused. Since your profile mentions that you've flown the CL-65, but you say you wouldn't work at Comiar, don't work at ASA, don't work at ACA, don't work at SKYW, who does that leave?

Air Wisconsin? Midway? or Pinnacle? Which one of those would you like to compare to Comair?

I've worked for Comair for considerably more than a decade. In that time, nobody ever bought a job at Comair. Two years ago a new hire was not makeing much money, but $1200/mo? where did you get that number?

Comiar isn't "one of the premier" regional airlines. It has been the leading regional airline for many years. The most profitable, the most efficient, the most innovative and the best managed. An industry leader consistently from day one.

Most of what other "premier" regional airlines are doing today, they copied from Comair.

Hope you're happy wherever you are. Sorry if you didn't make it. Guess I'm wrong though, just remembered you never tried.

"Skywest might be an option if you want to live among Mormons in Salt Lake City."

Yeah - those friggin Mormons make life a living HELL in SLC...run...run as fast as you can!!! ;)

PUKE

Sign me up for a CRJ in SLC anytime, of course, Cincy can be fun too!

Surplus1,
are you smoking crack again, for three or four years in a row, ending Oct. 1999. Everyone, EVERYONE, paid $11,000, for their job. You were too old and senior to even care.

I've worked for Comair for considerably more than a decade. In that time, nobody ever bought a job at Comair.

What? How is it you don't know this basic fact then expect to be credible for everything else you say after it?

S.

Surplus1,

My apologies for my mediocre literary talent. I should have proofread that before posting. Two years ago I had no intention of working for Comair. At that time, correct me if I'm wrong, Comair was pay-for-training. Their workrules and pay were also not competitive with other avenues (outside of flying for a regional airlines) that I was qualified for.

In the mid to late 90's, Comair was charging new-hires about $10,000 for initial training, I believe. Many of the pilots at Comair have told me they paid for training. I don't want to turn this into a PFT v. non-PFT thread, but I, like many of us, had to claw my way up without asking mommy and daddy for money so I could be "qualified" for a job. For those that did, that's their choice and privilege. Everyone has to do what is in their own interest. If my memory is correct, Comair dropped the PFT about two years ago.

After two years flying freight, I had paid my school debts down enough that I could afford to work for a regional airline. I read through the new tentative agreement Comair's MEC negotiated and decided Comair had become a good place to be, perhaps even retire from if things got bad and I had to stay there a while. This was early last August.

The $1200/mo. figure I quoted was the income level I figured a new-hire reserve F.O. would have taken home after taxes a couple of years ago. This was based on the monthly guarantee, including my best guess for per-diem. Please remember that I was unfamiliar with all the convoluted pay schemes that exist at the regionals (duty and trip rigs, minimum day, etc.). I only knew simple math. The numbers I had for a first-year EMB-120 F.O. two years ago were roughly $16.50/hr, 75 hour guarantee. Those numbers might not have been accurate, but they were the best I had.

I was earning $44k/yr. flying freight and passenger charters. Paying $10k for a $15/k per year job didn't make sense to me. After I learned the PFT had been dropped and saw the new contract, I applied and was hired at Comair. I'm happy to be here, holding my breath until the company grows as much as was promised during the interview.

The main purpose for my post was to emphasize that the industry is constantly changing. Seven years ago, I took my first airline flight. I was already a private pilot at that time. I rode a brand-new CRJ from Tulsa to Cincinnati, then a Brasilia from CVG to BHM, I believe, then on to Orlando. I was going to look at a flight school (called Comair Aviation Academy) I'd seen advertised that claimed they could make me into an airline pilot. When I got there I found it would cost me $40k to finish through CFI, then an additional $10k for the Airline Qualification Program. No financial aid was available at that time, and I couldn't afford it. That left me with some disappointment, but I found another way to reach my goal - which at times didn't include working for Comair anymore. Funny how things work out.

Thanks for asking me to clarify the confusion I created, Surplus1. My apologies again. I enjoy reading your posts and hope to fly with you someday. Maybe I already have.

Regards,
V-1

"Skywest might be an option if you want to live among Mormons in Salt Lake City."

I live among them everyday, in my own house. Yes run they are all crazy evil people get away before they get you!

Latest resources

Back