• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Was told in the Comair interview:

~70% JFK
~30% CVG

From what I have seen that is accurate. A small percentage go to GSO but if you are planning on commuting at all I would not recommend GSO as a base.

Was told in the Comair interview:

~70% JFK
~30% CVG
What's the deal with the MCO base? Why are no new hires going there; is it hard to transfer there after you are with the company? I live in the orlando area already, that would be ideal. I was looking at thier site, and it looks like i meet min req now...but i'd hate to have to commute where there is a base right in town!

What's the deal with the MCO base? Why are no new hires going there; is it hard to transfer there after you are with the company? I live in the orlando area already, that would be ideal. I was looking at thier site, and it looks like i meet min req now...but i'd hate to have to commute where there is a base right in town!

It is very senior. Comair had a base there back in the 90's and when it closed alot of people just commuted to CVG, instead of moving. It is our smallest base and many senior people live in MCO. A couple New-hires have gotten MCO, becuase of the FO's in MCO are finally taking upgrades into JFK and some slots are becoming available to replace them, but it is a rarity.

It is very senior. Comair had a base there back in the 90's and when it closed alot of people just commuted to CVG, instead of moving. It is our smallest base and many senior people live in MCO. A couple New-hires have gotten MCO, becuase of the FO's in MCO are finally taking upgrades into JFK and some slots are becoming available to replace them, but it is a rarity.
So, if one were to be offered a position in JFK or CVG, how long should they expect to wait for MCO if they keep bidding for it?

Let's put it this way - out of 1500 pilots at Comair, we have about 35 FOs in Orlando. Many pilots at Comair went to the Academy and live in the Orlando area. There is also constant talk of closing our two smallest bases, of which Orlando is one. Plan on at least a year to hold MCO, and probably a lot more.

So, if one were to be offered a position in JFK or CVG, how long should they expect to wait for MCO if they keep bidding for it?

A couple months ago a guy got it after being here only a couple months. That is not the norm, the most junior FO there before that was 2 or 3 years. That base has been threatened with closure for the past 16 months or so.

If you're senior enough to hold one-day trips, you'll finish all your days at your domicile.

Because 85% of Comair's trips are four days long, you'll only finish your fourth day in domicile...assuming you're senior enough to hold a line. If you are a reserve pilot...good luck seeing home more often than once every seven days.

Latest resources

Back