• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But we're merging!!!!!!!!

300 pilot. We'll find out by July 21st.
JFK will be the biggest impact.
Both CVG and JFK Capt effected
Number could change with VLOA's

Last edited:
Comair guys check your e-mails... goes back to Jan. 22nd 2007 new hires.

This is a bogus source. There may be COLAs and what not but doubtful any involuntarys. We've heard gloom and doom for years so nothing will surprise though. Comair has been canceling flights all summer for bad staffing in the NE. I've said it before, Crew Forecasting and Planning is more of an oxymoron than Military Intelligence. Picture monkeys and typewriters.

This is a bogus source. .
So are you saying RiddleEagle is bogus, or the email?
Because I'll be more than happy to post Soapers email to us.

So are you saying RiddleEagle is bogus, or the email?
Because I'll be more than happy to post Soapers email to us.

If Soaper sent emails to FOs then that is very shady, but else what would anyone expect from him. The union is mum of course, more concerned about collecting those merger dues which will go way way up with furloughs. For the guys that do get the chop, I hope you find something better and don't have to come back to this dump.

July 7, 2008
TO: Comair Pilots and Flight Attendants
FROM: Dave Soaper, Senior Vice President of Aircraft Operations
RE: Aligning crew staffing with reduced flying

As was communicated last week, the significant reduction in our fall schedule will result in an overage of pilots and flight attendants, especially since we had just increased our crew complement to accommodate the additional flying we’re currently performing.

We are still making minor adjustments to the number of pilot and flight attendant displacements but the fall flight schedule calls for substantial reductions – 300 pilot positions and 220 flight attendant positions. For pilots, the displacement bid will affect both CVG and JFK CRJ captains.
However, we expect the largest impact to be in our JFK base for both work groups.

It is important to note that the number of displacements could still change based on the voluntary options we can put in place. We informed the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) of the reduction in flying last week. Since then, we published a joint letter to the flight attendants on July 3 stating that the company and the IBT have agreed on several voluntary options (part-time bid, base vacancy bids, early out opportunities, etc.) lessening the impact to that work group.

The next step for flight attendants is to release a part-time bid no later than July 9. For pilots, we expect the displacement bid to be released no later than July 21.

We recognize the reduction in schedule came as a surprise since we were recruiting pilots and flight attendants in recent months. As President John Selvaggio noted in his memo, our flying for this year has been a rollercoaster. In January, we said we would experience a 10-15 percent decrease in flying throughout the year. So far in 2008, we have been fortunate to be well above that plan. Our hiring plan was based on the fall schedule (which included the additional flying) and our desire to be in a strategic position to capitalize on short-notice flying opportunities.

The initial reduction in September and further block hour cuts in October through the rest of the year bring our actual flying much closer to the original estimate and seem even more dramatic given our good fortune during the first eight months of the year. As fuel prices continue to climb
to unprecedented levels and capacity is further reduced, we are faced with the unpleasant task of aligning our workforce with another revised plan.

We understand these fluctuations can be frustrating, and we continue to do our best to manage through them as proactively as we can. We appreciate your ongoing efforts to serve our customers and run a safe airline. We will keep you informed as we have more news to share. If you have questions, please talk to an Inflight supervisor or chief pilot.

Here ya go.

If Soaper sent emails to FOs then that is very shady, but else what would anyone expect from him.
I would think he sent it to the whole pilot group.
But I wouldn't put it past him to just sent it to FO's, although it says that CVG and JFK Captains will be effect.
As for the merger dues, I haven't spoke to one person who is paying them, both CA's and FO's....and I doubt they will start paying them not with furloughs on the way.
My friend and I haven't even gotten a bill yet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back