Comair to fly DFW-ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freight Dog

Surplus and SDD, is this complementing current Delta service flown by the mainline, or what's the story with this?

All while big Delta has several hundred guys/gals on furlough....

Things that make you go hmmmm......

----------

New Jet Service Gives Customers More Options

DALLAS-FORT WORTH, Texas, July 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Connection will offer customers nonstop jet service between Chicago O'Hare International Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport starting Sept. 1. Delta Connection carrier Comair will operate five daily round-trip flights between the cities using Canadair regional jets (CRJ).
"The new service will give Delta customers traveling through Dallas/Fort Worth convenient access to Chicago, the largest business and industrial center in the Midwest," said Fred Buttrell, president and chief executive officer of Delta Connection, Inc. "Chicago customers will have one-stop access to the
wide range of destinations available through our Dallas/Fort Worth hub."
Travelers at Delta's hub in Dallas/Fort Worth have access to more than 210 daily flights on Delta (NYSE: DAL) or Delta Connection to more than 60 cities. This includes popular destinations throughout the West and Southwest.
Known for its convenience, comfort and speed, the CRJ carries passengers in a two-by-two seating arrangement; every seat is an aisle or window, with no middle seats. The plane can cruise at a speed of 530 mph at altitudes as high as 41,000 feet and is recognized as the quietest commercial jet aircraft in
the world.
Delta Connection includes wholly owned subsidiaries Atlantic Southeast Airlines and Comair, additional regional carriers Atlantic Coast Airlines, SkyWest Airlines and Chautauqua Airlines, and codeshare partner American Eagle. Delta Connection carriers operate more than 250 regional jets throughout North America. For more information, please visit delta.com.

Dallas/Ft. Worth to Chicago O'Hare Service

Flight Departure Arrival Equipment
5165 7:25 a.m. 9:43 a.m. CRJ
5167 10:10 a.m. 12:28 p.m. CRJ
5169 1:30 p.m. 3:48 p.m. CRJ
5171 3:55 p.m. 6:13 p.m. CRJ
5160 7:35 p.m. 9:53 p.m. CRJ

Chicago O'Hare to Dallas/Ft. Worth Service

Flight Departure Arrival Equipment
5164 6:20 a.m. 8:42 a.m. CRJ
5166 10:10 a.m. 12:35 p.m. CRJ
5168 12:20 p.m. 2:45 p.m. CRJ
5170 4:10 p.m. 6:38 p.m. CRJ
5172 6:05 p.m. 8:30 p.m. CRJ

Notable absence over!

DFW-ORD is a market from which Delta has been noticeably absent for as long as I can remember. I always thought, even though DFW is a small hub for them, that it was a big empty hole on the map. It'll help develop that hub, which can only be good for the whole company, mainline and regional alike, down the road. Plus, AA could stand a little competition for those 15 MD80s a day they run on the route!

As a former Metroplex resident (who can't wait to get back) I think this is a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see this become a mainline route down the road, once the RJs develop it a little!

And for the airline that

Diverts
Every
Leg
Through
Atlanta

any route that goes to another hub ain't such a bad deal! (Gotta get a little laugh here!)

R

AA

Boy, I'll bet Donald Carty will love it!

While we're on that subject, I found this article on www.amrcorp.com :

FOR RELEASE: Wednesday, July 17, 2002
AMERICAN EAGLE PREPARING TO SELL 14 ERJ-145s

FORT WORTH, Texas – American Eagle today announced that it has reached an agreement in principle to dispose of 14 ERJ-145, 50-seat regional jets. Ultimately, these airplanes will be acquired by Trans States Airlines, an AmericanConnection carrier. The potential deal still requires the consent of the companies financing these aircraft and is subject to the negotiation of final documentation.

"We’re undertaking this move to ensure American remains in compliance with its Allied Pilots Association contract, " said Peter Bowler, American Eagle’s president. "We’ve always hoped that American and the APA would reach agreement on increasing the number of RJs that we can fly. But, in the absence of such an agreement, we must dispose of these airplanes. We are at least pleased that these planes will be flown by airlines connecting passengers to American rather than to one of American’s competitors."

American’s pilot contract limits the total flying done by regional airlines on American’s code. One of the provisions of that contract limits the total number of regional jets with more than 44 seats flown under the AA code to 67 aircraft. Eagle’s current delivery schedule of firm orders for new Bombardier CRJ aircraft, which feature seating for 70 passengers, will place the airline at this cap in January 2003.

The limitation places American Eagle at a competitive disadvantage to its competitors.

"Eagle is proud to operate more than 130 new regional jets from hubs and other cities across the country," Bowler said. "However, when expressed as a percentage of the total American Airlines fleet, Eagle’s regional jet fleet is considerably smaller than the comparable figure for American’s competitors and their regional affiliates."

If all parties approve the potential transactions, the planes will be delivered to Trans States beginning in November with the transition completed by early 2004. Operating the planes under its "AX" airline code, Trans States will determine how to deploy the aircraft later this year, with the first phase of deployment scheduled for its St. Louis hub where it feeds American Airlines.

Hmmmm, interesting.......... aren't there some Eagle pilots still out on furlough?

PS-Sorry, didn't see this article on another thread before I posted.
:eek:

Last edited:
Hub Raiding!

The Comair interview team mentioned that things like this are in the works for the company. Stick a low cost RJ in a new market, fly the company colors and grab market share. And when the line becomes profitable for the big iron, kick out the RJs and bring on mainline while the RJs start exploring elsewhere. Makes no sense in putting an MD or Boeing on a route that initially fills only 10% of the available seats.

Re: Hub Raiding!

Hovernut said:
The Comair interview team mentioned that things like this are in the works for the company. Stick a low cost RJ in a new market, fly the company colors and grab market share. And when the line becomes profitable for the big iron, kick out the RJs and bring on mainline while the RJs start exploring elsewhere. Makes no sense in putting an MD or Boeing on a route that initially fills only 10% of the available seats.

You hit the nail on the head. Despite mainline pilot cries of job stealing, this is the number two job of the RJ when it isn't feeding a hub. It's also the only way Delta can compete with AA in DFW.

It's about time we could get from the upper midwest to DFW without going through ATL. I say bring it on.

Re: Re: Hub Raiding!

ifly4food said:

You hit the nail on the head. Despite mainline pilot cries of job stealing, this is the number two job of the RJ when it isn't feeding a hub. It's also the only way Delta can compete with AA in DFW.

Take on B777's with CRJ's!! :)

Nice!! Pretty soon, we'll have COEX fly EWR-LAX. :)

ORD to DFW is one of AA's most profitable routes. Leo Mullin is playing games with AA. There has to be more to this than meets the eye... move some RJs in and drop the ticket prices? AA will have to match and then ORD to DFW becomes unprofitable. Looks like hub poaching has begun! Let the games begin.

And you wonder why airlines are the worst run industry? Perhaps their CEOs act like 8 year olds.

Well, actually...

Freight Dog said:

Take on B777's with CRJ's!! :)

Nice!! Pretty soon, we'll have COEX fly EWR-LAX. :)

In a word, yes.
While AA has the loads to justify a 777 on that route, Delta doesn't. Rather than abandon the route and get nothing at all, the best course of action for Delta is to operate an RJ which is the right size aircraft for the load.

I'll bet Delta has enough Skymiles members in Chicago who will only fly Delta and don't want the *DELayed Through Atlanta* treatment to fill all five flights every day.

In reference to Broke/CVG's comment, this isn't a game between Leo and Don. It's smart business... serve your best customers while getting your foot in the door in your main competetor's most profitable route.

Frieght dog,
for a -8 driver, you are out to luch with your comments. read
Ifly4food's comment a few times until you understand...

skymiles, Delta customers, etc.

For a -8 driver, I would think it would be wise to worry about the future and the job market. While perhaps you are happy flying a Brasilia until retirement, I would personally rather retire flying something bigger simply due to pay, work rules, and retirement.

But I'll tell you this much.... I sure do hope that "Delta's" CRJ's are used for "probing" the market and then later replaced by the mainline. I mean this is what all the RJDC apologists claim. However, I would like to see a few examples of that being the case, and not the other way around.

AA has B777's flying that market because there is a DEMAND for it. Delta going in there with RJ's... well... I can only hope that those RJ's will be replaced by MD's and 737's and 767's in the near future, and not just become one CRJ every half hour to compete with AA's B777's.

Aloha!

Latest resources

Back