Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
Negligence implies that the crew did something intentionally wrong to cause the accident. I would be careful throwing out that word. Yes, they made a mistake. Unfortunatly it was the mistake that they couldn't get out of. We all make mistakes, on a daily basis, even you. So far we have been lucky that the mistakes that we make have ended up being learning experiences. But there is a difference between making a mistake and being negligent. And while I feel for each and every passengers family and loved ones, you and they need to remember that the crew lost their lives too, and this will leave an un replaceable void in the loves of their loved ones as well. They are all in my thoughts and prayers.

From Merrian-Webster:

1 a : marked by or given to neglect especially habitually or culpably b : failing to exercise the care expected of a reasonably prudent person in like circumstances
2 : marked by a carelessly easy manner

Now we're gettting into lawyer territory, so don't ask me to expand on this. Only wanted to post a definition.

atrdriver said:
Negligence implies that the crew did something intentionally wrong to cause the accident.

That is incorrect.

Negligence specifically rejects intent to harm.

Papa Woody said:
That is incorrect.

Negligence specifically rejects intent to harm.

Negligence is a legal term designed by lawyers. It has nothing to do with making a mistake, but in the courtroom, it wins lawsuits. One can only hope the pilots are not named in the suits, but they will be. I feel for the families of the crew because on top of everything they'll have to deal with that. What we need are federal laws that prohibit litigation against specific employees unless there is proof of intent to harm.

ReportCanoa said:
Negligence is a legal term designed by lawyers. It has nothing to do with making a mistake, but in the courtroom, it wins lawsuits. One can only hope the pilots are not named in the suits, but they will be. I feel for the families of the crew because on top of everything they'll have to deal with that. What we need are federal laws that prohibit litigation against specific employees unless there is proof of intent to harm.

From Merriam-Webster:

1 a : the quality or state of being negligent b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances
: an act or instance of being negligent

Totally inappropriate. All the moreso since you've got a whopping 50 hours in a 152 and are a mod. I see you're a "NWA CSA". If you were to get your clip-on caught in the luggage conveyer-belt and wound up dead, I wouldn't presume to tell others that you died because you were stupid, particularly if I weren't there to see it. I certainly wouldn't presume to tell other CSAs that they didn't deserve a raise because you made a mistake.

Last edited:
Rip Vanwinkle said:
Totally inappropriate. All the moreso since you've got a whopping 50 hours in a 152 and are a mod. I see you're a "NWA CSA". If you were to get your clip-on caught in the luggage conveyer-belt and wound up dead, I wouldn't presume to tell others that you died because you were stupid, particularly if I weren't there to see it. I certainly wouldn't presume to tell other CSAs that they didn't deserve a raise because you made a mistake.

My original post is misunderstood. It didn't come out right.

I am not saying the pilots were "stupid", nor am I saying any COMAIR pilots are. My point was, and nothing more, than to the public, this was pilot error, and trying to argue pilots deserve more pay is not going to hold up to the public, especially the family member's of those lost on the COMAIR flight. In my post, I was pointing out comments I've heard passengers making at the airport.

I never said I thought pilots didn't deserve a raise. My post was supposed to be pointing out the publics view right now.

I am deeply sorry if I was misunderstood. MY prayers are with those as COMAIR, AIRTRAN, and those family members who lost loved ones on this flight, as well as the surviving FO.

I am not an experienced pilot, and am not claiming to know what happened on that COMAIR flight. I know from looking at the diagrams, and considering the work recently done on this airport, it was probably more than easy to make that mistake, and probably a mistake waiting to happen at that airport. I think the COMAIR crew did everything they could to get that plane flying, or stopped, once they realized what was happening.

Again, my original post did not come off correct, and was simply meant to say what is in the public eye, not mine.

Fellas, let the FAA, NTSB, and ALPA do their job. Stop making uneducated guesses on who was at fault. NO ONE on these boards have all the facts and cicumstances.

And to save you time, yes I'm Comair, yes I knew members of the crew and no I'm not going to share info that is not appropriate.

God speed CMR Flt 5191
Jimbo our prayers are with you!

RJBum,

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said and so very sorry for the loss of your friends and coworkers.

Gosh,give it a rest.... crap happens......it's hard enough for the folks at Comair to deal with this, but why don't we analyze it in private for a bit until the dust settles....also, anyone who says that they never make a mistake, I'll be the first to jump off your airplane...I'm not implying that their was a mistake made or anything...but give it a rest for a while.........as Comair use to be one of the best regionals, now due to all the whores out their I will be surprised if Comair makes it past the law suites alive..........I enjoyed the years I worked there and just shake my head at what the regionals have become because of a lack of unity among fellow regional pilots.......no group yet has had the balls to stand up to managment....how does everyone sleep at night??????? What a shame..........I just thank god I can pursue another career but yet get all the flying I want in the Reserves so I don't have to continue to experience the complete distruction of the regionals..........

Latest resources

Back