Comair Pilots Leaving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I don't think that Comair mgmnt has any idea what the hiring situation is, currently, or how much worse it will be in the next few years.

If they were paying attention, they never would've asked for concessions from the pilots-they would've proposed a pay raise so that they could continue to man the planes they have.

I also don't understand why ALPA and the Comair pilots didn't ask for a payraise, explaining to Mgmt the pilot hiring situation.

Did it have to do with bankruptcy???

I think when Comair tries to start recruiting pilots over the next few years, with their low pay, they will be shocked.

cliff
YIP
Are you serious? Managment can give two sh!ts on what the hiring process is like through out the industry. Thats why they decided to drop thier mins to 600TT...heard rumor its only 300/100 now....because they knew they would get new hires in thier with no problem.
They fill every class to about 20 people, and start on every monday.
Rumor is that the June 4th class will be the last one for a while, while they figure out whats going on with the airline.

The airline and alpa knew we were getting bigger airplanes during negotiations. Everyone knew it. They still went in there and negotiated pay cuts, becuase thats what they do best. DAL managment took a bonus for getting us to take a cut. Crap happens every time, and the union sits back and allow to happen.

Keep in mind, that Comair ALPA didn't "just decide to take a cut". The leadership during the first proposal was terrible with no approval preference given, but after that the company actually got court approval to throw out the pilots contract. Many people seem to forget that the company had no legal obligation to give a final proposal (the one that is in effect now) to the pilots. The proposal voted in is actually a fair amount better than the contract that the company was legally allowed to impose. I'm not a huge fan of the CMR ALPA leadership but given the battles they faced, the pilot group and union did fairly well. Not enough for me to stay but there are people out there willing to take my spot.

I left over a month ago. What do you think the odds are that some people who have left already will slip through the cracks and still get the full BK payout? I know I'll be checking my fidelity account on Tuesday.

I left over a month ago. What do you think the odds are that some people who have left already will slip through the cracks and still get the full BK payout? I know I'll be checking my fidelity account on Tuesday.
I bet you'll get it.
They're so up to date on their paperwork, that guys who have quit over 3 months ago are still getting bid awards. Pisses me off, because I'm right at the point where I am supossed to come back to CVG, but can't due to some guy still getting his bids....and he's flying corperate out of Chicago now!

Hi!

So, up to this point, Comair has had no problems filling their new-hire classes?

They would be the 1st regional I've heard of that is having no problems.

cliff
YIP

As long as pilots keep showing up for class, management knows they are paying the pilots too much. Not enough in class you say...just lower the mins. Still not enough...conditionally hire them before they have a single flight hour in a plane. Once they are certified the newbies can start flying and get paid for it. There is no bottom!

The answer is for us to control supply in the supply and demand equation.

Pilots need to take note of what doctors have been doing in this country all along. We need to limit the number of pilots allowed to initially train to get their Commercial certificate. The AMA has control over how many people can attend med school in this country. If ALPA or any pro-pilot organization lobbied for this control, we would solve most problems that cause this website to be so popular. In my opinion, that should be the top priority for ALPA and top priority for any airline pilot who would like to have a sustainable future in what is left of this profession.

As long as pilots keep showing up for class, management knows they are paying the pilots too much. Not enough in class you say...just lower the mins. Still not enough...conditionally hire them before they have a single flight hour in a plane. Once they are certified the newbies can start flying and get paid for it. There is no bottom!

The answer is for us to control supply in the supply and demand equation.

Pilots need to take note of what doctors have been doing in this country all along. We need to limit the number of pilots allowed to initially train to get their Commercial certificate. The AMA has control over how many people can attend med school in this country. If ALPA or any pro-pilot organization lobbied for this control, we would solve most problems that cause this website to be so popular. In my opinion, that should be the top priority for ALPA and top priority for any airline pilot who would like to have a sustainable future in what is left of this profession.

Wow, you would make a great COMMUNIST! :nuts:

Wow, you would make a great COMMUNIST! :nuts:

Just like all of the pinko doctors in the country...right?

I would just like to be compensated for the education and responsibilities I have. My high school drop-out neighbor who sells above-ground swimming pools makes more money than I do and he gets every holiday off... oh yeah and he gets to sleep in his own bed every night.

Few will leave

All this talk about leaving is crap. Some will. They will jepordize a great deal to go to the "next big thing". Low cost carriers, transatlantic 76 jobs... wow look at me I made it to the "next level, look at me" jobs... yaddy yaddy yaddy. Whatever. Stay the course don't get ratttled by management crap or ALPA "fraternity I flew an F-16 so I'm entitled to the right seat of the throne: junk. Stay the course. Don't deviate from what your gut tells you to do. Make decisions that are wise. Enjoy your time at work. Its a good profession.

Latest resources

Back