Comair Pilots Leaving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JonnyKnoxville

All I seem to hear from everyone around the Comair campus is the talk about how so many Comair pilots are leaving after the bankruptcy claim payout. I have only met one pilot who is actually leaving out of the apparently HUGE group leaving. The payout is June 5th, just a few days away. What do you think will be the monthly attrition rate. I bet it is hardly a change at all from the current rate.

All I seem to hear from everyone around the Comair campus is the talk about how so many Comair pilots are leaving after the bankruptcy claim payout. I have only met one pilot who is actually leaving out of the apparently HUGE group leaving. The payout is June 5th, just a few days away. What do you think will be the monthly attrition rate. I bet it is hardly a change at all from the current rate.
So you hear that many pilots are leaving, but then sum it up with only knowing of ONE pilot who is actually leaving....out of 1600 pilots.

Hasn't the pay out been delayed for about a month or two now? I bet you anything it gets delayed again, especially if ALPA has thier hand on the money.
Speaking of this money and ALPA. Who is getting the intrest that is building, while $60+ million is just sitting in the bank. ALPA sure hasn;t mentioned anything about that cash.

In the end, Yes. Many guys are leaving. I know several who are leaving for Cathay, SWA, JB and NetJets.....but they're waiting for the payout before they arange class dates.
Its a damn shame that overnight, they go from the highest paid, to another Mesa Production, thanks to the fine work of ALPA. Let me guess "We hard our backs to the wall" or "it's the better of two choices!"

Eat it ALPA.

So you hear that many pilots are leaving, but then sum it up with only knowing of ONE pilot who is actually leaving....out of 1600 pilots.

Hasn't the pay out been delayed for about a month or two now? I bet you anything it gets delayed again, especially if ALPA has thier hand on the money.
Speaking of this money and ALPA. Who is getting the intrest that is building, while $60+ million is just sitting in the bank. ALPA sure hasn;t mentioned anything about that cash.

In the end, Yes. Many guys are leaving. I know several who are leaving for Cathay, SWA, JB and NetJets.....but they're waiting for the payout before they arange class dates.
Its a damn shame that overnight, they go from the highest paid, to another Mesa Production, thanks to the fine work of ALPA. Let me guess "We hard our backs to the wall" or "it's the better of two choices!"

Eat it ALPA.

I think ALPA gave the company 30-days to pay out the claim once the allotted amount given to each pilot was figured out. I heard they did this because the company had the resources to set up the payout whereas ALPA would have had to create a payout system. So, overall, I believe the company has held onto the money for at least three of the four weeks and maybe all four. So they are definitely taking their cut of interest on our money. It will pay on June 5.

Currently, ALPA is a very weak and ineffective union but I feel that they did an okay job on the bankrupcy claim payout.

A lot of guys are big talkers. For instance, I had a guy bitching about the airline and how much it sucked...blah blah blah. Typical stuff.
I asked him where he has his resume into, and where he wanted to go. Response "Man, I ain't leaving! I got to much time invested into this place!"

"how long you been here?"

"4yrs man!"

Everyone is leaving until its comes to the time to leave.

Back to the original topic, attrition rate after the pay-out...

I don't think there will be a huge "spike." I think that a few people will leave aviation altogether, so they have the flexibility to wait until the payout and can basically quit the next day. BUt most other pilots wanting to leave for good jobs (ones that take 6+months to get) already were looking to leave before they even knew there would be a payout. It would be tricky to plan your departure that closely when ultimately it isn't up to you. You can't decide if/when you get hired somewhere and when they will call you for class. I realise that some places you can postpone a class (like SWA with waitinng to get the type) but typically it seems to be that most employers will only let you pass up one class if any.

Well, "Johnny," I hope there are enough CAs bailing so's my upgrade class re-convenes lickety-split! If I'm getting booted from MCO, I at least want to commute for 4 bars!!

Everyone is leaving until its comes to the time to leave.

I left. I see numerous former Comair pilots at my new job. If you think the attrition hasn't skyrocketed since the bankruptcy then you are kidding yourself. I'm really curious to see what happens after the payout and base closures. People can't just leave overnight though; getting a job at a place other than a crappy regional can take some time.

I left. I see numerous former Comair pilots at my new job. If you think the attrition hasn't skyrocketed since the bankruptcy then you are kidding yourself. I'm really curious to see what happens after the payout and base closures. People can't just leave overnight though; getting a job at a place other than a crappy regional can take some time.
I know atrition is huge right now, well it was until the pay out. But I know lots of guys are leaving, but not as many as they all claim.

New hires are claiming they're taking thier payouts and leaving for better airlines (Skywest, Express Jet, RAH) since they got thier 121 time, CRJ time, and their times to get them into the doors of other regionals.

New hires are claiming they're taking thier payouts and leaving for better airlines (Skywest, Express Jet, RAH) since they got thier 121 time, CRJ time, and their times to get them into the doors of other regionals.
I'd laugh at this statement if it weren't true.

Hi!

I don't think that Comair mgmnt has any idea what the hiring situation is, currently, or how much worse it will be in the next few years.

If they were paying attention, they never would've asked for concessions from the pilots-they would've proposed a pay raise so that they could continue to man the planes they have.

I also don't understand why ALPA and the Comair pilots didn't ask for a payraise, explaining to Mgmt the pilot hiring situation.

Did it have to do with bankruptcy???

I think when Comair tries to start recruiting pilots over the next few years, with their low pay, they will be shocked.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back