• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

COMAIR Pilots get $31,000 each severance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We didn't get severance.... just our final paychecks mailed to our home addresses on file.

About 5 years later, we received a settlement for unused sick and vacation days. Out of about $5000 worth of sick and vacation time, I received a check for $25. (pennies on the dollar).

The only folks who "make out" in these situations are the lawyers..... :banghead:

My final check from "ACA", after deductions was for $00.01!

I kid u not. One cent.

Still have it. Never cashed it.

There is the difference that Comair is simply being shut down by Delta (parent company) ACA (AKA Independence Air then) went Chapter 7 liquidation. Employees (outside of owed wages which are second behind the IRS, any guess why?) are at the bottom of the list for payout.

There is the difference that Comair is simply being shut down by Delta (parent company) ACA (AKA Independence Air then) went Chapter 7 liquidation. Employees (outside of owed wages which are second behind the IRS, any guess why?) are at the bottom of the list for payout.

My gawd. Thank you. I didn't know. I always wondered why I lost my job there!!

Did all you bump your head? This is insurance, to prevent guys from rolling over one morning and deciding that this is the day they don't go to work at Comair anymore. The cancellations and disruption to the schedules far exceed any costs of the "severance" packages.
Quit playing checkers.

What is the tax on a lump sum $31,000 severance payout?

The tax rate will be determined when you file your 2012 taxes, however, the company will withhold 25% of the severance amount. Of course, you can reclaim any overpayment of taxes when you do your return.

It's not $31k...at least for most. It's eleven weeks of pay at one's current rate, plus accrued sick time and accrued vacation time.

Unless, of course, someone has been furloughed or on medical leave, then they get nothing.

It's not $31k...at least for most. It's eleven weeks of pay at one's current rate, plus accrued sick time and accrued vacation time.

Unless, of course, someone has been furloughed or on medical leave, then they get nothing.

Average payout per union presentation is about $32,000. Obvious some will be more, some less.

FOs will get $8326 at the top of the scale, which I believe we are all topped out....before taxes. At least they're paying 100% accrued sick, which is surprising to me. We're probably all at the 3-week vacation accrual, too; so that, and any vaycay that is left over from this year.

Company-paid COBRA for 3 months.
If you can't meet the retirement reqt's, all you get is yield fare travel for as long as you worked here....oh joy! Retirees will at least get S3CR, so they'll be a nudge above the buddy passes.

Would've been nice to get at least a year's worth of current travel at S3C to job hunt, etc.

So, that $20mil doesn't quite work out to quite the windfall per-pilot (mis)represented in the news article. It's likely the 'whole pie' that gets split up amongst the various payouts listed above.

Latest resources

Back