Comair Pilot arrested in PA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL,

You have to send in six cereal box tops and 4.99 plus shipping and handling to register............FYI

While going through security in IAD a few months back the most f'ed up thing occurred that I have ever seen.

I'm deadheading for an assignment that required me to transfer between DCA and IAD. It's the first time I've had the pleasure of going through this particular airport's security. I go to a screener that is all the way down to the left because that is closest to where I need to go and there is no line. They tell me that I need to go to the crew line.

"Where is that."

"All the way down the other end."

"I'm in the back today."

"Doesn't matter, you're crew. Go down there."

"No. I have a ticket and you are open, I want to go through here."

3 striper arrives.

"Is there a problem, sir"

Screener tells him the story.

He tells me I can go through but I have to put my ID in my bag. WTF?????

SpiderMan said:
How about this one. I read it someplace the other day. Some middle-aged woman was going through a security checkpoint with a present for her son or grandchild, not important. Anyway, it was a 12 inch G.I. Joe doll with a small two to three inch plastic machine-gun. The brilliant TSAgent confiscated the dolls plastic gun because federal regulations dont allow replica guns onboard aircraft. These TSA folks are sharp!

The guy probably just needed a gift for his son. He was too cheap to go to walmart and drop $14.95, so he used the blanket excuse "importance of national secuirty" to confiscate the doll.

I'm going to get a job at a TSA checkpoint for the holidays and do my christmas shopping that way.

FN FAL said:
What does registered to carry a firearm mean and where do I find this "registration", at the "registrars" office?

I remember talk at one time of allowing airline pilots to carry weapons. I am not sure if it was allowed or not. Was it?

My dad had a "permit to carry a concealed firearm". It would have sounded even stranger if I said permitted to carry a firearm.

RefugePilot said:
I remember talk at one time of allowing airline pilots to carry weapons. I am not sure if it was allowed or not. Was it?

My dad had a "permit to carry a concealed firearm". It would have sounded even stranger if I said permitted to carry a firearm.

For Immediate Release: November 3, 2003

BELLEVUE, WA—The decision Monday by Wayne County, Mich. Prosecutor Michael Duggan to charge former Detroit Police Chief Jerry Oliver for having an unregistered handgun was “the right thing to do,” said Joe Waldron, executive director of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA).

“It doesn't matter who you are,” Duggan was quoted as saying Monday by the Detroit Free Press. “If you do not license your handgun ... I am going to charge you.”

“I’m satisfied that Mike Duggan is sticking to his ‘anti-guns’,” Waldron quipped.

Earlier, Waldron had challenged Duggan to charge the now ex-chief. Had Duggan not charged Oliver—as he would have any other citizen caught in the same set of circumstances—it would have been a blatant exercise in elitist hypocrisy, Waldron suggested.

“Jerry Oliver deserves a day in court, same as any other citizen who has been accused of a crime,” Waldron stated. “Likewise, the law-abiding gun owners in Wayne County also deserve for Oliver to have a day in court, as it demonstrates that nobody, even the chief law enforcement officer of the state’s largest city, is above the law.

“Every law-abiding gun owner in Michigan is aware of the registration requirement,” Waldron continued, “so it is incredulous for Jerry Oliver to say that he wasn’t. While there is no evidence that any registration law ever prevented a violent crime, it is still the law in Michigan, unless and until the Legislature wisely repeals it. Until that happens, the law applies to everyone, even police chiefs.

“Jerry Oliver learned the hard way why police should never be exempt from any law they are required to enforce, and that especially should apply to gun laws,” Waldron observed. “Too often over the years, such laws were deliberately written with exemptions for police, in order to garner their political support. For too long, the public looked upon police as ‘gun experts’ and therefore were often mistakenly influenced by a police endorsement or opposition to a particular gun law proposal.

“Chief Oliver’s incident, and it is really nothing more than that,” Waldron concluded, “shows that police, and especially police administrators, are not always gun experts. Carrying an unlicensed handgun is bad enough, but packing a loaded gun in your luggage, not declaring it at an airport check-in, and not even being able to identify its correct caliber are stunning lapses. Real experts don’t do this, and all other average citizens face the same consequences that Jerry Oliver now faces.”
//////

Most guys I know ALWAYS carry a knife on them, in fact I almost went through TSA yesterday with one. It puzzles me as to why he was arrested for it. There must be more to the story.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back