• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair news and upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha! Comair doesn't give a crap about any "social implications" regarding anything they do. In fact, they've proven that they are willing to go out of their way to make their employee's lives as miserable as possible.

Reminds me of my last day flying before I was furloughed. This is an actual (paraphrased) conversation I had with crew scheduling.

"Hello."

"First Officer DrewBlows, we need to extend you into tomorrow."

"Uh, I'm furloughed starting tomorrow."

"Yeah I know, but we're short staffed. I can't make you do it but if you agree it will be junior man pay and we may have something else for you tomorrow."

"Why are you furloughing me if you are short staffed?"

"I don't know, we really need you."

"I need the money, I guess I'll do it."

Looking back, I should have told them to blow it out their ass, but I really wasn't sure how I was going to pay the bills at that point.

I am at 3+ years and still 120 numbers from the most junior guy who has been awarded JFK capt.There are probably one or two hundred more senior FO's passing it up which I will assume will continue. At the current attrition rate I will assume another year until I upgrade unless something else happens. That means 4+ years to upgrade, not 2 1/2.

As everyone knows, the time it currently takes to upgrade is about as accurate at predicting the future as a really erratic trend vector.

(Just like when the fa asks how long the flight time is and the *witty* captain says' "it is the time from takeoff to landing." The time to upgrade is the time between getting your SIDA picture taken and your Fed ride.)

I got that off the internal website before I left. My info is about a month old now. Talking with some captains/training guys it sounded like most were above those mins.

Low time new hires

I remember some time ago comair was rumored as hiring at 350/50 or somethwere around there. Does anyone know if this is the case? or if it was the case if it is the case still?

Back in the Metro days CMR hired pilots with about 400hrs total time from a Flight Safety program that gave them SA227 simulator experience that amounted to about 40 hrs.

They did a great job and are now experienced Jet Captains with Comair or have gone on to Major airlines.

Back in the Metro days CMR hired pilots with about 400hrs total time from a Flight Safety program that gave them SA227 simulator experience that amounted to about 40 hrs.

They did a great job and are now experienced Jet Captains with Comair or have gone on to Major airlines.

Oh, I can do ya one better.

When Rick Dubinski was hire at United, he had less than 300 hours total. He went on to be a 747 Captain and United MEC Chairman who subsequently sued ALPA and settled.

Oh, I can do ya one better.

When Rick Dubinski was hire at United, he had less than 300 hours total. He went on to be a 747 Captain and United MEC Chairman who subsequently sued ALPA and settled.

I wonder if he PFTed like some of the RJDC leadership? Somehow I doubt it.

His lawsuit did not attempted to circumvent or abrogate the collective bargaining agreement of an ALPA pilot group, he did however file a claim against the UAL MEC for defamation and false light invasion of privacy when some questions were raised over attorney fees.

Latest resources

Back