Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Congratulations!

Congratulations!

After being furloughed (again) by a major airline in 2002 I was starting to feel pretty beat-down and frustrated with the airline industry. Jobs were (and still are) few and far between and Kit Darby's AirInc seminars were far more depressing to me than inspirational.

After all, there were literally hundreds of blue-suit/red-ties with extraordinarily impressive qualifications at those seminars.

I was ready to pack up flying for good and go back to school to seek a new career when a friend of mine (also furloughed) suggested that I take a look at Comair.

Comair was, for me, a dream come true!

My good fortune started with an interview late last summer. I still feel overjoyed to come to work even now a year later! This company is amazing. I have had the privilege to work with some of the finest, most professional, most cohesive employee groups I have experienced in my career. I am amazed almost daily by the relationships between the employees and the company. I honestly feel like a valued member of a team.

The contract is stellar. There are little lifestyle perks in that agreement which are far superior to anything we had at the major airline I worked for over the last three years. My lone complaint would be first-year pay. After that, however, the salary is certainly reasonable. (thanks to the Comair pilots who worked so hard to attain that contract for the rest of us)

My class included 4 other furloughed major airline pilots, 2 Captains from other regionals, 2 F/Os from other regionals, 2 corporate pilots, 2 military pilots and 3 Comair academy graduates. Experience in the class ranged from 1500 hrs TT to over 9000 hrs TT.

I intend to stay here at Comair (hopefully!) for the duration of my career. While I certainly miss the paycheck that I enjoyed in the majors I actually enjoy the JOB far more here at Comair.

I wish you a long and prosperous career and my sincere congratulations.

I think that especially post 09/11 the vast majority of newhires are looking at Comair as a career carrier -- not a stepping stone. & I for one couldn't agree more!

prodigal

While the city of Cincinnati is a vibrant and interesting city, so is the general area known as "Northern Kentucky" An awful lot of Comair and Delta pilots live and/or crash pad there, vs. across the Ohio river, in Cincinnati. It is, in my opinion, much more convenient to live in one of the dozen or so towns in Northern Kentucky, as the Airport is in the state of Kentucky, and I have found that the traffic crossing the bridges over the river can be very heavy. There are lots of nice living accomodations, close to the airport in Kentucky, and also a vibrant retail, comercial, and entertainment venues in Northern Ky. Just one man's opinion.

I find the people in Northern Kentucky to be very friendly, and "southern" in talk and attitude. Nice people is what I am trying to say.

Re: Congratulations!

FurloughedAgain said:
I am amazed almost daily by the relationships between the employees and the company. I honestly feel like a valued member of a team.

The contract is stellar.

dude, are you SURE you work at comair?

i know of a lot of poeple that would disagree with you on those statements (i'm not saying i'm one of them, however)

Thanks!

FurloughedAgain & Jarhead,
Thank you very much for your thoughtful replies. It sounds too good to be true & I can't wait to get up there and get started.

A few years ago around the campfire, a skydiving friend of mine told me about a wedding invitation he got from an old highschool chum, that had gone off to be a commercial pilot and wound up at Comair. He said it was unbelievable, that his friend at Comair was marrying this other guy and was quiting his airline job to move to Canada, to open up a bed and breakfast.

Stellar, I said.

(True story)

Comair

I think you are thinking of a Northern Exposure episode... that was Cicely, Alaska, not Canada.... and I think they were architects, not pilots... either way, its nice that folks found something that made them happy and they followed up on.

No marq, it's a true story. You can look up a dude in Appleton WI, named Jay Langford. Ask him about his buddy that sent him the invitation to his same sex marriage, that was quiting Comair to move to Canada to open a bed and breakfast. In fact, I think Jay actually went to the wedding.

For a while after that, as I would drive to the drop zone on saturdays to go skydive, I could never think of the Harry Chapin song the same...

"You see she was going to be an actress and I was going to learn to fly.
She took off for the footlights and I married another guy."

WrightAvia,

With that much evidence, it must be true! You know, some have called me crazy for flying skydivers, some have called you crazy for jumpin' and this couple probably gets a little attention for being 'non-conformist'. As long as I can fly, you can jump and they can..... be happy, it's all good! Plus it opened a slot for me at Comair, and I really need the job!

Kind of like that Eagle flow through, Josslyn, who had a sex change after flowing through to AA. Must have been a great start to the whole flow through thing. LOL. Let's face it, there are definately some alternative lifestyles out there. They sure do seem to find the airline industry, don't they?

Latest resources

Back