• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair merger relief fund?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How can they force us to pay something without voting on it or signing something?

I remember years ago when the rumor was flying around that Mesa and ASA was going to merge, MAG ALPA told the pilots the same thing we were. According to family who worked there, enough pilots called their reps and said they refuse to pay it and the Union dropped the "Merger Fund".

That would be a big negative. The merger fund issue came around again at mesa and JUST LIKE YOU the MEC decided without a vote. So we are now paying $20 a month and if you dont pay then you are kicked out of ALPA. Now if that would be a bad thing or not is a good question, HOWEVER they will still take dues out of your paycheck and there is nothing you can do to stop them! And really Mesa? Merger fund?? We have a better chance of going bankrupt then merging!

The problem with ALPA is there is no objective method of merger....and the bylaws don't allow for regular dues money to be used to get involved in any integration p!$$ing contests.....

Any fighting done on your behalf has to come from an independant merger fund.....

So for example...lets just say that the new DAL/NWA decides to merge Compass/Mesaba/CMR....The fight for seniority has to be paid from a seperate merger fund....By the way...Compass is part of the NWA MEC...

More chickens coming home to roost......

The 'special assesments' everyone is refering to are to fund a Merger Committee should your airline merge with or be acquired by another carrier. Under ALPA bylaws MEC budget money cannot be used to fund expenses associated with mergers. Every carrier that has been through a merger has used these special assesments to fund the Committee that represents them in seniority list integration negotitions and subsequent Agreement issues. If a carrier that has a good chance of being sold or merged into another carrier does not want to fund such a committee - enjoy being on the bottom of the staple job.

The following is my opinion...

A merger fund at Comair isn't a bad idea. There are about one hundred things that could result from a DAL/NWA merger and about one of them which is good for Comair pilots. When it's all said and done New Delta will own Mesaba, Comair, and Compass. Who knows what they will do with them (us, I'm Compass, former Comair)?

People bitch and moan about ALPA not doing anything but in this case they are being pro-active and people are still bitching. If you are not concerned about a merger at Comair, you should be. If you are concerned about a merger fund at Comair I suggest you organize an effort to put the merger fund in an escrow account which can be refunded or reassigned in the event it's not needed.

...put the merger fund in an escrow account which can be refunded or reassigned in the event it's not needed.
Not a bad idea. Use regular dues money to open the escrow

Not All Bad...

If the money is not needed for an actual merger, just think of how many Corn Dawgs you could buy......

Mmmm, Corn Dawgs.....

The following is my opinion...

A merger fund at Comair isn't a bad idea. There are about one hundred things that could result from a DAL/NWA merger and about one of them which is good for Comair pilots. When it's all said and done New Delta will own Mesaba, Comair, and Compass. Who knows what they will do with them (us, I'm Compass, former Comair)?

People bitch and moan about ALPA not doing anything but in this case they are being pro-active and people are still bitching. If you are not concerned about a merger at Comair, you should be. If you are concerned about a merger fund at Comair I suggest you organize an effort to put the merger fund in an escrow account which can be refunded or reassigned in the event it's not needed.
Actually, their not being pro-active. Alpa Natl. advised them to start this 18 months ago and JC did nothing (as always). The new MEC came on and did nothing, now their rushing to get this in place and blaming JC, but they did the same thing nothing until it was too late.

Actually, their not being pro-active. Alpa Natl. advised them to start this 18 months ago and JC did nothing (as always). The new MEC came on and did nothing, now their rushing to get this in place and blaming JC, but they did the same thing nothing until it was too late.
Is Comair going to be brought into the fold with the merger of NWA/DL? What better opportunity to excercise collective bargaining, no?

(And for that matter, NWA and their respective ALPA feeders)

Latest resources

Back