• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

acarpe3448

TO: Comair Pilots
DATE: December 16, 2002
Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.
We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.
We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.
We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise. It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.
At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.
Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.
Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY41018
859-282-9016 FAX 859-283-5533

I believe it was 'Frak You!!'

..in Battlestar Galactica geekspeak

At the time that happened I told one of the reps it was a huge mistake. We should have told management: "Hiring is a management function. If you want us to make management decisions, we will start with the retirement, move to the scheduling and on to medical. If you don't want us making management decisions, then you take care of this!" We then could have said to Delta, we don't make that decision, take it up with management. Comair management never did anything we wanted, so asking us if they could hire "X" was nothing but a ploy to drive a wedge between pilot groups. JC & co. fell right into their hands. We should have stayed away from the whole thing.

At the time that happened I told one of the reps it was a huge mistake. We should have told management: "Hiring is a management function. If you want us to make management decisions, we will start with the retirement, move to the scheduling and on to medical. If you don't want us making management decisions, then you take care of this!" We then could have said to Delta, we don't make that decision, take it up with management. Comair management never did anything we wanted, so asking us if they could hire "X" was nothing but a ploy to drive a wedge between pilot groups. JC & co. fell right into their hands. We should have stayed away from the whole thing.

That is a different spin on the story! I had not heard that. Good insight on your part.

TO: Comair Pilots
DATE: December 16, 2002
Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.
We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.
We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.
We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise. It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.
At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.
Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.
Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY41018
859-282-9016 FAX 859-283-5533

This still makes my blood boil. Luckily Comair took a historic fall and is now one step above Mesa. Lawson can suck it now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots."

Wow. That didn't work out to well, did it? Didn't Delta go on to become the biggest regional whore of a major with like 9 or so regionals providing feed? Ouch.

This still makes my blood boil. Luckily Comair took a historic fall and is now one step above Mesa. Lawson can suck it now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Makes me furious also! While myself and hundreds and hundreds of others were furloughed, making a push for unlimited larger jets, and a senority grab! It was an unfortunate time for sure. One that will never be forgotten I am sure.

Makes me furious also! While myself and hundreds and hundreds of others were furloughed, making a push for unlimited larger jets, and a senority grab! It was an unfortunate time for sure. One that will never be forgotten I am sure.

As long as you want to bring up history, March 2001: Thanks for the strike checks.... oh, that's right every other airline pilots sent checks except for ONE ~ Delta. I take that back, there was one Delta pilot who sent in a check. One! And for the record, a majority of Comair pilots voiced their opinion to JC on this matter and he tried to use the DL furloughs as negotiation chips with DALPA anyway.

You're a big A-hole for even trudging this up.

Latest resources

Back