Comair/major airline discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

[Moderator note: This post was from the thread titled "Airline Industry" originally. It was moved here because it opened a discussion that didn't fall under the title of the original thread, yet deserves debate.- If4f]

Comair is a major that is hiring and purchasing new aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Major by my definiton!!

Sorry, Guy, but Comair is not a major, not by any stretch of the imagination. Neither is Eagle, neither is COEX. To claim other than that is simply deluding yourself.

They may sell more than $1 Bil in tickets, but that just means that they are a regional that sells a lot of tickets- they are still a regional.

Majors don't operate a 60 seat airplane as their "Heavy Iron".

Not a Major in your opinion!!

Ty Webb said:
Sorry, Guy, but Comair is not a major, not by any stretch of the imagination. Neither is Eagle, neither is COEX. To claim other than that is simply deluding yourself.

They may sell more than $1 Bil in tickets, but that just means that they are a regional that sells a lot of tickets- they are still a regional.

Majors don't operate a 60 seat airplane as their "Heavy Iron".

As you said "by your deffinition", and you know what they say about opinions...
Last time I checked, the "official" deffinition of a "major" was $1 billion revenue. It mentions nothing about "heavy iron". Comair would in fact BE A MAJOR AIRLINE right now if they hadn't been absorbed by Delta.
You are deluding yourself to say that if you don't fly what you consider a "real airplane" you're not a "real airline". Get Real.

BTW- Comair flies 40, 50, and 70 seat aircraft (not 60 seat).

Last edited:
Well, if you say so. However, Comair is part of Delta, and they are a major, so I guess Delta is hiring. They are also furloughing at another side of the business, but I guess that cancels us out, right? What if a major had small jets, would your definition of a major have to change? Have you ever heard of Air Canada, as they are a major that flies CRJ's under the same senority list as Airbuses and 737's? Did you know America West used to fly DH-8's? I'm not sure how the size of the aircraft matters. What if Comair/ASA were larger than Delta Mainline, and we merged lists? Would Comair still be a Regional? I guess I don't understand YOUR definition. Good day.

Look, Disneyworld sells over a Billion dollars' worth of tickets- that doesn't make them a major airline, and flying a bunch of REGIONAL jets out of one main base does not make Comair a major airline, regardless of how many tickets they sell.

If you want to know what a "major" airline is to most pilots, you should pick up a book delineating the history of the airlines.

I know this must break your heart, but a job flying a REGIONAL jet out of CVG does not make you a major airline pilot, no matter what you tell the girls at the laundromat.

C'mon Ty,

When you send or sent out resumes, wasn't your list made up of American, United, Delta, Continental, Northwest and Comair?

I guess I could have gone to Comair, but Delta trained me for free.

Ty: Disneyworld is not an airline. You are comparing apples to oranges. It is a fact that in the year Delta took over Comair they met the DOT deffinition of a major airline by earning $1 billion in revenue.

Snowback: Comair hasn't asked anyone to pay for training in several years. Neither has ASA.
I'm impressed that your first airline was Delta. Not everyone is so fortunate.

eagle is one of the major airlines. a major airlines is based on 1 billion dollars in revenue expense, not the type of aircraft. so yes american eagle is considered a major air carrier without ties to american airlines. no other regional carrier is a major besides american eagle.
antney

If Comair and Eagle are major airlines, then we need a new name for United and American. No matter how you look at it, a twenty year captain at Comair is not going to live the life of a twenty year United captain. Nor is he going to fly a 777.

Or maybe I've been trying to get my big job with the wrong companies.

PS: Does this mean that Airtran, Frontier, and Alaska are Regionals?

Latest resources

Back