• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair is done

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was reading an article posted on Willflyforfood.com web site mentioning Comairs situation with the reduction of their CRJ fleet. For those of you who fly or have flown for regional airlines (be it regional jots or turbo props), which regional aircraft will be the future for the regional airline business.

It interesting in that Delta announced they would be halving Comair. They've already halved Comair once over the past six years, they're seeking to do it again.

This time they've said something. They could have gradually drawn down the 50-seaters stringing everyone along for the ride in the dark.

With that, I wish my best to the Comair employees in finding greener pastures.

I was reading an article posted on Willflyforfood.com web site mentioning Comairs situation with the reduction of their CRJ fleet. For those of you who fly or have flown for regional airlines (be it regional jots or turbo props), which regional aircraft will be the future for the regional airline business.

Just saw an article that ATR is gearing up for big Orders.... They seem to believe the TurboProps will make a comeback taking over all 50 Seat RJ's. They say on hour flights that the ATR will burn 35-40% less fuel then the 50 seat RJ's. There ATR 600's are in flight testing and they are also looking to develop a 80-90 seat ATR. But who knows????

It is a NEW development. They are not interviewing CRJ guys anymore. Maybe been 8-10 months since the "new" policy

Incorrect, I personally know of one female Mesa pilot who was recently hired with a class date days from now and another (a guy) who as we speak is interviewing.

Both with nothing but RJ PIC time.

Just saw an article that ATR is gearing up for big Orders.... They seem to believe the TurboProps will make a comeback taking over all 50 Seat RJ's. They say on hour flights that the ATR will burn 35-40% less fuel then the 50 seat RJ's. There ATR 600's are in flight testing and they are also looking to develop a 80-90 seat ATR. But who knows????

You write this as if this was just figured out. Pax hate small jets. The only thing they hate more than small jets is turboprops. I wish you were right that t-ps were about to make a come back but I'm afraid that the future is turning out to be 100+ seat jets flown by pilots with no benefits at the rate of 35 for fo's and 70 for Captains. The role of large Tps I think will end up being the smallest markets with only one or two airlines competing.

Last edited:
This might be a scare tactic but there will still be furloughs and Comair still may be sold. Maybe Comair will have a better future but in the meantime, update your resume.

Pax "prefer" jets, sure. But if the Q/ATR/etc. really burn upwards of 40% less fuel on comparable segments and the vast majority of pax are buying their tix off of search engines with the winning criteria being whoever is $0.01 cheaper, will they (in any statistically significant numbers, not just a few here or there) actually take their business elsewhere over this? Even if the alternative to doing so is significantly higher ticket prices? I don't think that will be the case at all. Especially as fuel stays extrenely high at 7X/bbl even during the worst economy since the big bang and is chomping at the bit to surge at the first sign of a (real) recovery. T-props will be around and I predict in ever increasing numbers especially when things get better. The days of roaring economies and 13/bbl oil (the "OMFG let's order RJ's by the thousands!!!!!) are over.

I don’t know much about union legalities but I’ve always wondered why we all can’t have a common trade union like some other professions? If this were the case the airline would have to pick from the trade unions seniority list and along with that would come set salaries. This eliminates having to start at the bottom each time some foolish company wants to refresh a pilot group to save a nickel.

Latest resources

Back