Comair Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
outofAAjob said:
So does anyone know if Comair will hire furloughed major airline pilots?

Hiring these folks is not the question. The question is how many of these folks will be wiling to give up their seniority numbers? I have heard from some of the HR people that they will be required to do as such if offered employment.

Sabre60 said:

Hiring these folks is not the question. The question is how many of these folks will be wiling to give up their seniority numbers? I have heard from some of the HR people that they will be required to do as such if offered employment.

From what I've heard they won't even interview us, so you won't have to worry about making a decision-it's been made for you. Good to see their MEC showing gratitude to those carriers that paid their strike assessments. The seniority number question is a semi-valid management concern, but I don't really see why that means fellow ALPA carriers shouldn't at least attempt to support each other.

Marko Ramius said:

From what I've heard they won't even interview us, so you won't have to worry about making a decision-it's been made for you. Good to see their MEC showing gratitude to those carriers that paid their strike assessments. The seniority number question is a semi-valid management concern, but I don't really see why that means fellow ALPA carriers shouldn't at least attempt to support each other.

You might want to check and make sure whether or not that may be the case. I did hear one of the pilot recruiters saying that they thought some US Airways folks were coming in for interviews. If thats' true, don't give up on getting one. I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to as far as the seniority number question is concerned, I rather think it is simply management's concept of spending money on an individual that may or may not be around very long. But who knows, I may be completely wrong, or maybe you could enlighten me on the seniority issue you make reference to. I'm not trying to pick, I am just trying to learn something I may not have been aware of before.

to ramius.

I wasn't aware that the Comair MEC had any influence over who the company hires. In fact, they have no recourse for any employee until his probationary period is over. We would love to help you guys, but the MEC is a body that negotiates contracts, it has no part in hiring pilots.

Sabre60 said:

You might want to check and make sure whether or not that may be the case. I did hear one of the pilot recruiters saying that they thought some US Airways folks were coming in for interviews. If thats' true, don't give up on getting one. I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to as far as the seniority number question is concerned, I rather think it is simply management's concept of spending money on an individual that may or may not be around very long. But who knows, I may be completely wrong, or maybe you could enlighten me on the seniority issue you make reference to. I'm not trying to pick, I am just trying to learn something I may not have been aware of before.

If they are bringing in some UsAirways people, more power to them. The information I got was from several UAL furloughees who went to a career fair, along with the usual grapevine stuff(you know Air Inc said so, etc). I fully understand the management view on this, although I personally think it is flawed since many of us will be on the street for at least 3-5 years. I think the primary reasons that most regional airlines management want to shy away from furloughees are something different from what they publicly state-but that's a moot issue to my point in the previous post. What I was referring to was the fact that Comair's MEC along with the MEC's from other ALPA regionals that are hiring don't seem to have any interest in supporting their fellow union members by attempting to get their carriers to interview ALPA major airline furloughees for these positions. It is my understanding that they are doing this for other carriers like Midway, just not the major airline people. Comair in particular, because their union did recieve a lot of money in the form of strike assesments from other ALPA pilots during their strike. Additionally, my particular carrier put out a letter supporting Comair pilots for any future pilot openings-I know that we had stopped interviewing by then, but at least we thought about it and tried. I'm sure many other ALPA carriers did the same, now that favor seems to only be returned to some of those who helped. The point I was trying to make is that the issues of how long we are going to be there or whether or not we will resign our numbers are managerial issues that the union leadership at these carriers seem to be hiding behind to not support helping out furloughed members of their union. I fail to see what threat we pose to lthe careers of the local union members at those carriers, so I fail to see why their MEC's are opposed to helping out. I don't pretend to ignore the animosity that has and still does crop up between major and regional pilots, but if this is part of some bigger message along those lines it would be wrong(i.e. if Comair refused to hire furloughees to underscore their points about one list, by inflicting some hurt on DALPA). UAL's MEC was against Comair and ASA's list merger attempt, but it didn't make them say that they wouldn't hire Comair/ASA pilots or stop them from issuing a letter supporting their hire during the strike. The door should swing both ways. I have no firm evidence to say that this is the reason behind the silence of the MEC's at the regionals, but the longer they stay silent, the more I have to question the motives as to why.

Management RTM

I think that you are not recognizing that management sets the policy in this matter. There are companies that clearly state that you must resign your former position before they will hire you.

There are others that just make it an unofficial policy that they will not hire furloughees.

Publisher, I do recognize that management sets the policy I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that in my post. Rarely, do management and union interests merge on the same plain. My problem isn't with management, but with individual union MEC's not even lifting a finger to try and get management to change their minds. I'm not saying whether or not they'd win, but they aren't even trying. It seems to me at this time, they are hiding behind management views on an intra-union issue. I highly doubt that my company would have extended preferential interviews to UFS and Westair pilots if UAL ALPA didn't hold their feet to the fire. Besides strike assessments they attempted to do the same hiring deal for Comair, all I'm saying is quid pro quo. If these MEC's feel we present some sort of valid threat to the careers of their pilot group, they would be justified in their actions although they should state why. Their silence so far however, makes their position a bit specious.

Ramius

You are way off base sir, and have no idea what you are talking about. This present situation is competely different from Comair's recent strike, and our helping the Midway people. Comair was threatening to put the company out of business, and hiring Midway pilots was a management decision. The union had nothing do do with it. The only airline I know of that has union influence on hiring is United, and it's in their contract. You are completely wrong in your poor assesment of Comair pilot's motives and should be ashamed of yourself. We did more to help our fellow pilots by staying on strike than anyone else has in a long time. The money you sent to ALPA for the strike was to help you, whether you understand that or not. We will help you in any way we can, but our MEC has no influence over who management hires. Also, I hear they are interviewing more experienced people, and how do you know that those guys are not getting a better shake than most? Furloughees may go back next week, or next year. Piedmont allready recalled theirs, and is hiring again. I think you owe us an apology. Good day to you.

Latest resources

Back