Comair FO Salary?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darling pretty

Guys please don't turn this into a flame....

I'm just trying to help a "friend" determine if she should stay in CVG as a C7F or goto JFK as a JRC.

What does a Comair C7F NET a month when on the max payscale?

Thanks everyone!

Either get in or stay in the left seat if possible. Sooner or later this industry will be in a hiring mode again. If 'your friend' doesn't have her 1000PIC she won't be able to move on. If she already has 1000PIC, more is better. There are thousands of CRJ/ERJ CA with way more than minimum PIC time. Any thing she can do to beef up her resume is good. This is one of those times in life when one must endure short term pain for long term gain. I know it isn't PC to say it, but here goes: She's a chick. If her resume is even reasonably competitive she has a decent chance of getting hired at a major when they start hiring again. Yeah, I said it. I'm not complaining about it. It's just the way it is. She should position herself to take advantage of it.

Looking at the pay scales an 8 year C7F will get $3655 for an 85 hour line. An 8 year 50 seat CA will get $4875 for a reserve line if they don't break guarantee. So, about $1200 gross difference per month. That assumes a lot though. First of all, most of the C7F I know aren't getting 85 hour lines right now. Second, I doubt an eight year pilot at CMR could even hold JFnK CA. A 9 year reserve CA will gross a minimum of $5325. In that case the difference is almost $1700 per month.

Depending on "her" seniority, it will be a significant pay cut.

The real question is quality of life. How does she want to live the next few years?

There are several CVG CAs who are selecting the FO seat in CVG versus the JFK CA and the soon to be established "circus commute" to NY. Many of them might be forced to find a second source of income.

It's all a question of quality of life and where do you draw the line.

Airline Pilot Central has all the pay rates.

And then what happens when they transfer the 700/900 domicile to JFK and then suddenly there are only half as many FO seats in cvg?

A lot to think about.

And then what happens when they transfer the 700/900 domicile to JFK and then suddenly there are only half as many FO seats in cvg?

A lot to think about.

You got that right. There are so many unanswered questions at Comair right now it's nearly impossible to make an educated guess. The main thing is that any bid is made with the assumption you could be stuck with that decision for years.

I have a very close friend in the exact same situation as the OP's 'friend'. He will probably elect to stay as a C7F in CVG rather than be a reserve JFnK CA. He's fortunate in that he can afford to place QOL over money. Don't misunderstand. He doesn't have deep pockets, but he can still pay the bills on C7F wages.

It's a tough call. I think it's clear from my previous post what I would do, but different folks have different priorities.

A lot to think about.

And what happens if the decide to furlough in fall like they had planned to due in the spring? The increase in flying is only through August and then it goes right back down in September.

Then there are only half as many 50 seat FOs in CVG.

A lot to think about.

Next time I make a career decision I'll be certain to ask someone else to ask a bunch of strangers for me.

Guys please don't turn this into a flame....

I'm just trying to help a "friend" determine if she should stay in CVG as a C7F or goto JFK as a JRC.

What does a Comair C7F NET a month when on the max payscale?

Thanks everyone!

If she is who I think she is, tell her to get over herself and come to Kennedy as a Captain. She'll have way more fun.

OTOH, if she's someone else, disregard the above.

I have plenty of PIC (last 6+ years CVG CA) so it came down to QOL and $. After factoring in a crash pad and loss of $ from using the commuter clause the money will be close enough after taxes that QOL most definately wins out.

Crash pad $300
Commute Clause (5hr/m x $71) $355
Not having to commute to JFK - PRICELESS!

BTW: Unless mgt runs a shuttle (which I don't see happening) you can double that commute clause loss.

Latest resources

Back