• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair FO James Polehinke?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- The only way the insurer could get out of paying is if his actions were not in furtherance of his duties - not likely.

- The company is vicariously liable for his actions. Even if he is personally named in the suit, the liability goes straight to his employer.

I think there would be very few of us that would fly passengers if we could be sued personally. I haven't heard the Comair details but if people are suing Polehinke outside of naming him in the Comair suit, this country is majorly *@#$%! We would have to start getting malpractice insurance like doctors.

Malpractice insurance for pilots? I am almost chuckled but then I realized that may not be too far off if we aren't careful. All it takes is one judge to change the rules from the bench, then we are hosed.

I think there would be very few of us that would fly passengers if we could be sued personally. I haven't heard the Comair details but if people are suing Polehinke outside of naming him in the Comair suit, this country is majorly *@#$%! We would have to start getting malpractice insurance like doctors.

Yeah, some people in this country are majorly *@#$%! up!
You know what they say; sue everybody, and you're bound to actually walk away with some money from one of them.
I was told it even gets worse than families wanting to sue Polehinke. Alot of the victims' families are outraged, and that's understandable, but aparantly one of the victims' relatives actually tried to locate the Captain's family for the purpose of suing his estate. Unbelievable. Again, all of this is hearsay.

Last edited:
MOD INPUT:

Please try to stay on topic. The thread is getting a bit off topic. Please don't make it get locked down. Get back to the the comair f/o and how he is doing, etc! Take the other debates to threads about those things please. I cleaned up the off topic posts in hope that we can get back on topic and remain respectful to those involved in the Comair crash. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hope he recovers and finds a way to fly again. I'd have alot more respect for this guy then I would for other frosted hair, backpack wearing, IPOD wearing punks. :)

I believe he's covered by OJI or something like that. though don't know the details of how those programs work...etc......So I think he's covered by workmens comp or something..
Correct. Workman's Comp, by federal law, is required to pay every single one of his medical bills as well as 2/3 of the average of his last 3 month's salary.

Period.

Additionally, if he did have a limb amputated (or mentally handicapped) and was permanently unable to resume flying duties, he would draw workman's comp until the permanent disability insurance kicked in (usually 6 months to a year, depending on Comair's insurance), then he would continue to draw that for life.

As far as I know, there isn't a single carrier out there that doesn't provide LTD (Long-Term Disability) as part of an employee's basic insurance package. The odds are such a long-shot that you will ever be permanently disabled that the premiums are usually very cheap and the company almost always provides it (I don't know of any who don't).

Best of luck to him, and the families of those who perished; one moment of loss of SA and a lifetime of suffering for so many. :(

Yes an email address would be nice, even though maybe we could send emails to flightinfo and then you guys could forward the emails to him? I'm afraid some jerk will try to blame him for the crash instead of offering his/her support. What do ya’ll think?

Latest resources

Back