• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair FO awakens

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did anyone else get a different read on what he was asking about "Why did God do this to me".....his mother seemed to indicate that she thought he was asking why God caused the accident, but when i read it, it seemed like he was asking why God spared only him in this horrible accident.

It's gotta be hard on the guy, and I think we should all keep him in our prayers. I hope he finds an answer to his question...maybe he was spared to become and advocate for reformed rest rules and scheduling policies...I like to think that everything, good or bad, happens for a reason.

I'm not convinced he knows there has been a plane crash, and if he does know, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he is the only survivor.

I'm not sure what he meant by why did God do this to me. That implies he thinks god did it? Most people seem to say why did god let this happen.

mynameisjim said:
I'm not convinced he knows there has been a plane crash, and if he does know, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he is the only survivor.

I'm not sure what he meant by why did God do this to me. That implies he thinks god did it? Most people seem to say why did god let this happen.

Only he knows what he is asking, and I hope he eventually finds an answer and some comfort

He was in a drug induced Coma for a quite a while, alot of those drugs(to sedate or anaesthetic's) cause a patient to lose memory of the day or two prior(happened to my grandmother). My mother works post-op care at a hospital and says that it is fairly common for patients to not remember the day of a major operation or the day before it either. So it is entirely possible he doesn't remember anything about the accident(if he knows there was one period) or how he got such horrific injuries(from the article sound like he could only move his head, so he may be paralyzed, which would leave me asking why).

Last edited:
...maybe he was spared to become and advocate for reformed rest rules and scheduling policies...I like to think that everything, good or bad, happens for a reason.

TheRaven--Relax. How much rest do you want to give him. He deadheaded in the day before.

Lets look at the reasons this happened...Only 1 controller, too little rest, outdated 10-9 charts without current notam'd closures-NO that is not the main cause of this.

Every pilot makes mistakes but some mistakes you cannot make, and sadly this is one of them. Lets call a spade a spade here. Scheduling is not the problem here!

I was in a car crash when I was in high school. head on @70 with no seat belt. Only visible injuries were all the stiches in my head, but my entire body came to a sudden stop against the dash. The nurses would wake me up every hour and ask me who I was, etc. It was hell, I didn't know what pain and suffering was until then. If there had been something to unplug to end it I would have pulled it. I prayed many times during the next few days for God to end it-and I didn't believe in God. Same question as to why God let this happen.

I was just banged up, this guy is totally busted up, I can't imagine how much physical pain this guy is in. Morphine dulls it, but can only do so much-this guy has got to be at a level most of us can't imagine. So, if he says a few things that sound weird to you, take a min. and think about it-I'm not even figuring in the who mental aspect....

B

TheRaven--Relax. How much rest do you want to give him. He deadheaded in the day before.
What about circadian rhythms of the human body? His body WAS off its sleep cycle. That can make a big difference in performance! Airlines and the FAA are not properly educated on the effects of sleep cycles vs rest requirements. Nor does the regulatory rest period compensate for a sleep cycle change. Jim may have been a victim of this.

Rest rules do not need to be linear, as they are now. They must be made flexable to accommodate sleep patterns.

Latest resources

Back