• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Firing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The MEC not only suggested it, they imposed it with a huge LACK of support from its members. The members did not vote, but were rather told we would be paying $20 per month until it was "obvious no merger would take place" and then, we would "receive our money back."
The Union said that even if there isn't a merger, that the pilot would get the money back...well, what ever is left over. They're going to use the money to pay lawyer to "view thier options if thier is a merger".
They sent out a letter a couple of weeks ago saying that they're looking over a couple of law firms to see who they want to represent us if there is a merger. The next day we got an email saying that they have selected a firm.
Now tell me this. How hard did they really look for a firm, if it only took them less than 24 hours?
So the union is supposidly paying some law firm, to review our options, for a merger that will never take place. And the pilots will get back what ever is left over.
Rumors have it that the Union is going to up the fee to cover for the guys who haven't been paying it.

With a money back guarantee, why would you not want to be ready to protect your job and seniority should there be a merger? Would you be the same pilot that would be whining when the merger happens and you don't have adequate protection because you did not have a fund setup to pay legal fees to protect your job? Pay the money--it's cheap insurance!

Does Comair have any type of merger protection or procedures in their contract? OK, I'll admit that these days, it seems most contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Good luck to Comair pilots if there is a merger (or even if there isn't).

Speedtape, the only money back guarantee is a tiny mention in some email that was along the lines of "we understand your worries, so don't worry you'll get your money back once we are sure there is no merger..." When might that be? That could be the year 2150 when they decide Delta won't merge Comair with anyone...

If you think I'll ever see my money back from ALPA, I have a bridge to sell you.

Did you guys vote to approve this assessment?

I saw in the latest FastRead that the MEC Chairman has been replaced with a new guy. Was that related to this situation?

From earlier in the thread ...

The MEC not only suggested it, they imposed it with a huge LACK of support from its members. The members did not vote, but were rather told we would be paying $20 per month until it was "obvious no merger would take place" and then, we would "receive our money back."

This, at the same time, we were told that the money they collect at $20/month would not cover even the legal fees of a merger, but payment is still required anyway.

Oh, and our MEC can't come up with a way to have it payroll deducted like everything else, and we have to spend 40 cents of our own money to cut them a check every month and mail it in.

Our MEC has been placing pilots who have not paid the "merger assessment" in "BAD STANDING" within the union. These are guys that have faithfully paid dues for years, all of a sudden labeled "bad members."

Recently there was a meeting to recall all members of our MEC, however since I'm a January 19th furlough, I have no idea the outcome of that meeting.

Some "Union", huh?

No vote, we were just told "You pay now please."

This was a big part in the new MEC Chair, but certainly not the only one. Lack of communication to the members and childish antics such as a weekly "Management Knucklehead Award" were just some of the other reasons.

No vote, we were just told "You pay now please."
Quit lying dude, they never said "Please" haha
The first couple of emails were very iffy. Made no sense and gave us no eplanation as to why the Union thinks were merging.
Then there were a few emails "strong arming" pilots to pay the fee.....the act of desperation.
Then they came out and apologized and now they're threatening jobs again.

Dang, I can't believe they actually imposed an assessment without a vote. That takes some balls. You guys need to pressure your new MEC Chair to get a change to the MEC policy manual to require membership ratification of assessments.

Latest resources

Back