Comair Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

My guess is that Delta's bankruptcy proof deal with SkyWest and other restrictive contracts means the only place they can cut without being in breach is their own airplanes.... :erm:

Comair to Cut Jets, Flights
Wednesday January 9, 4:55 pm ET Comair to Cut Jets, Flights As Part of Delta Cost-Cutting

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Regional airline Comair said Wednesday that it will reduce its fleet of 131 jets by up to 14 and that it will fly fewer scheduled hours as part of the plan by its parent, Delta Air Lines Inc., to cut costs.

Delta said last month that it would cut the number of U.S. flights by up to 5 percent in 2008 and reduce the equivalent of 10 mainline aircraft and 35 regional jets to offset soaring fuel costs.

Comair President John Selvaggio told employees in a memo Wednesday that the carrier will remove 14, 50-seat planes from service.

Eight of the 14 jets are lease expirations and the remaining six will be taken out of service, Selvaggio said. He said the other six could be sold by Delta, be made available to Comair as spares or put back in the schedule based on what happens with fuel prices and customer demand.

Selvaggio also told employees that all Delta Connection carriers, including Comair, will fly 10 percent to 15 percent fewer scheduled hours in 2008.

He said Comair expects to achieve staff reductions through attrition, but the company would be looking at ways to further reduce administrative costs and use new technology to help streamline work. Comair, based near Cincinnati in Erlanger, Ky., has 6,300 employees and operates 697 flights a day to 88 cities in the United States and Canada.

I think you're right, but it may violate our agreement as well. I recall it had penalties for going below a certain percentage of our fleet at the time of signing...

Hard to tell, seeing as how we don't have a copy of our new agreement despite signing it last March. (Management assures us it's a high priority.)

Clearly not good news for Comair. This is good for no one, especially the folks who are flying the schedules, creating the revenue.

That being said, it could, probably will, happen to other feed providers. How long until a similar announcement is made at ASA? Months? Days? Hours?

How long until a similar announcement is made at ASA? Months? Days? Hours?
I think Jerry Atkin had that covered. I don't like the guy, but he is an excellent poker player in this business.

They say that EVERY year.

1/3rd the burn of an RJ while carrying more has to have some appeal....

They say that EVERY year.

1/3rd the burn of an RJ while carrying more has to have some appeal....

Yea...but that won't stop the Atlanta leadership from making yet another bad decision.

Just got out of recurrent and the chief pilot SB came in and confirmed that Comair is planning on an additional 350 resignations for 2008 plus no hiring for 2008. He said that Comair is not where you want to be if you are interested in upgrading. Now, he's not to blame, he's just the bearer of the bad news and we all knew this was coming. We lost 700 people in the last 2 years. Maybe it's like Fred said and Delta is just "right sizing" Comair...hehehehe.

Last edited:
Just got out of recurrent and the chief pilot SB came in and confirmed that Comair is planning on an additional 350 resignations for 2008 plus no hiring for 2008. He said that Comair is not where you want to be if you are interested in upgrading. Now, he's not to blame, he's just the bearer of the bad news and we all knew this was coming. We lost 700 people in the last 2 years. Maybe it's like Fred said and Delta is just "right sizing" Comair...hehehehe.

For some reason some young CFI will read this and right the following sentence, "I have 400 and 20 can someone tell me what the interview is like at comair and how are the travel benefits. I know things are not so good now but still you guys have 900's and that has been my goal to fly that sweet machine since last year". Just like CP GAbe always says Airtran is his dream job.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back