• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair CL-65 headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think most new hires use whatever they showed up with. I have a set of DC 13.4's I use, which I picked up a few years ago when I got my CFI SEL during a non-flying tour. Since I am used to a GENTEX head vise with a set of NVG's added to help build up the old neck muscles, the DC's feel light and comfy. My longest flight day so far has been 7:45 and they didn't bother me at all. Way more sound suppression than required, of course I'm a half-deaf helo jockey. The CL-65 is pretty quiet up front.

It looks about 40-60 Dave Clark & Telex among the Captain's I've flown with.

My advice for any new hire is to use what you already have if you have anything, and wait until you get off first year pay to replace it.

I wear a headset made by sony. It is light weight and looks exactly like the Sony walkman headset with the inserts for your ears. It is very comfortable and works well in our cockpits. It costs about 350$ bucks and you can get it at heartaviation.com

SJCAPT

sjcapt can you post that link again.. it didnt work and I have been looking for a pair of those Sony headsets forever

I'll be using Bose X's, which I hear work well in the RJ. Our indoc instructor ranted today against DCs. I guess there was a problem recently between a CA and FO not communicating well with the different style headsets, and as a result, headsets will now be worn from pushback to FL 180. No more taxi with the speaker and hand mic. He was pushing the Telex type headsets. But I hear lots of people wear the spongy earplugs underneath. I just don't want to do that.

My friend tried to get dB info from Bombardier, but couldn't. He then got a dB meter from Radio Shack and measured 85dB in cruise. From my power plant days, I believe that's the OSHA threshold for occupational hearing protection. I figure good $$ now for a good ANR headset is worth not losing my medical in my prime earning years! Your hearing doesn't get any better!!

While I'm sure your instructor was trying to give you good info, unless you all have several hundred dollars you don't have a better use for, just use what you have in hand.

The headset use from pushback rule isn't going to change even if every new hire runs out and buys a Telex, and I strongly encourage you all not to do so just because your indoc instructor prefers them, unless of course, he's buying ;) .

A regular set of DC's or any other full coverage headset will provide more than enough sound attenuation, and my 13.4's have been perfectly compatible with both the aircraft comm box and every other headset I've talked to. It's really more important that they be comfortable through a four- day, 24-hour block trip.

At the very least, wait until you get on line and try out your existing headset for a while, that is unless you have money to burn.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't show up with a set of Jepp binders, you can get them from the folks in Tech Pubs in the GO building at a deep discount and payroll deductible to boot. I needed three 3 inch binders. Some folks also make up 1" trip binders so they don't have to pull out another big binder every other leg. Your choice.

Good luck.

sony headset

hart aviation no longer list the sonys. does anyone know where I can buy one? Sony.com has no listing either.

Telex airmen 750 is my choice in the RJ.

I have been using them in the RJ for 3 years and

wear them with some loose fitting soft ear plugs.

Re: sony headset

Kingairrick said:
hart aviation no longer list the sonys. does anyone know where I can buy one? Sony.com has no listing either.

I have used the Sony DR 6020 for about 3 years now. Theywere on back order for several months before I was able to get my hands on them.

I heard a nasty rumor a few months back, so I called Sony. They have been discontinued. Too bad as they are the best lightweight jet headset for the money.

Hope mine never break.

Latest resources

Back