College...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fsworld

This doesn’t really have a lot to do with the regionals but I thought someone might be able to offer some advice. I’m an FO (new) at ASA and I just finished my bachelors @ Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Its in Professional Aeronautics with a minor in aviation business administration and aviation safety. Now my question is... Is there a point/need to get my masters? I plan to stay airlines however we all know how the industry can go. Also, Delta will help pay for it now! If I do get it I will get an MBA or MBAA (aviation). My next question is... Would it be alright to get it from ERAU even though I got my B.S. from ERAU?

Zach

"If I do get it I will get an MBA or MBAA (aviation). "

The question to ask yourself is, If I bust a medical will this degree allow me to support my family?

As an old guy with a troubled career (lots of furloughes) I am thankful that my degree was in something that allowed me to earn a living outside of aviation.

Good luck.

I think most MBAs these days offer some sort of specialization option; I don't think an employer outside of aviation would consider it a negative if you had an aviation specialty. You should still have the basic & advanced skills other MBAs offer, and I believe one could offer a good explanation on why they chose that as opposed to something else or a more general degree.

My .02, FWIW...

In answer to your question... Its worth it! If nothing else than its something to fall back on. If ANYTHING happens where you loose your medical for some reason it will help out a lot.

Now... How does Delta pay for it??

SOVT said:
"If I do get it I will get an MBA or MBAA (aviation). "

The question to ask yourself is, If I bust a medical will this degree allow me to support my family?

Good luck.

Exactly

What are you stupid! First of all a BS in Aviation is WORTHLESS!!!! Any kind of masters in aviation is WORTHLESS!!! If you wanted to get into Airline Management look at the qualifications of those positions.... Accounting, Finance, Logisitics, Marketing. If you ever what to do anything other than fly a plane look at those qualification.... Accounting, Finance, Logisitics, Marketing. A BS in Aviation doesn't even help you get a job in aviation!

EVER HEAR THE SAYING DONT PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET?
The guy who mows my lawn has a BS from E Riddle.... no kidding!

BTW: My pre airline background. Internet Company started 1995 - Sold 1999.
BS Accounting - Washington University, STL
Masters International Finance, London School of Economics
MBA - University of Pennsylvania

I got a Bachelors of Technical Operations and then an MBA/A from Riddle. Worked well for me; though I'm on the business side of the airline racket. I just fly on the side.

I thought the Embry-Riddle MBA program was very good and airline-centric. However I don't think it's necessary - there are tons of MBAs here at the big D from schools all over the country. So with respect to an MBA - go for it but look around at a program that would best suit your own needs. Keep in mind getting a more generic MBA makes it easier to market yourself outside of the airline business than an MBA/A.

fsworld said:
Now my question is... Is there a point/need to get my masters?
If you can get your parents to pay for another degree, I'd say go ahead, what have you got to lose?

My buddy has three master degrees, two bachelor degrees and tons of military large turbo prop pic experience. His brother, a training capt with fedex, couldn't get him on the line and SWA wasn't interested either.

Delta will pay $2,000 reimbursement per calendar year for college. If anyone is interested email me and Ill find the link.

Zach

Latest resources

Back