College...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Broke in CVG:

BTW: My pre airline background. Internet Company started 1995 - Sold 1999.
BS Accounting - Washington University, STL
Masters International Finance, London School of Economics
MBA - University of Pennsylvania[/QUOTE]

Good for you, hope it all works out for ya.

Last edited:
Fall back value of degree overrated

You have to decide on what you want to be a MBA or a pilot. If is a pilot, you fly airplanes and build resume stuff. It will take approximately 10 years to get to a career position in aviation. You have to commit to the time frame to make it. To not fly and get an MBA may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get one on the side, nothing wrong with that, it is a useful degree helps you understand money, investing, etc. However the fall back value of a MBA in greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, plumping floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Broke in CVG said:
What are you stupid! First of all a BS in Aviation is WORTHLESS!!!! Any kind of masters in aviation is WORTHLESS!!! If you wanted to get into Airline Management look at the qualifications of those positions.... Accounting, Finance, Logisitics, Marketing. If you ever what to do anything other than fly a plane look at those qualification.... Accounting, Finance, Logisitics, Marketing. A BS in Aviation doesn't even help you get a job in aviation!

EVER HEAR THE SAYING DONT PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET?
The guy who mows my lawn has a BS from E Riddle.... no kidding!

BTW: My pre airline background. Internet Company started 1995 - Sold 1999.
BS Accounting - Washington University, STL
Masters International Finance, London School of Economics
MBA - University of Pennsylvania

Wow. I've got a Business Admin degree in Aviation as well as an MBA/A from both from Riddle. At the time I graduated I had to choose between job offers from 4 different major US carriers. Since I got hired back in 1998 I've also been promoted 4 times in a very difficult airline enviornment. While I don't think you need to have an aviation degree to succeed in this biz I certainly would not call my education 'worthless'.

You, on the other hand apparently graduated with a Masters from prestigious LSE as well as a Masters from Pensylvania and are currently 'Broke in Cincinnati'? You've got an accounting degree and two masters degrees and you're 'broke'?? I'd say your degree(s) appear to be the ones which are 'worthless'. Either that or you are pal.

I too was thinking of pursuing my MBA/A. I know Daniel Webster University is going to start an online MBAA in the Winter that Im interested in. I too would like to know if this is a worthless choice or not. I dont want to get a traditional MBA b/c I need something to keep me interested in more school and aviation is all i can come up with.

How long(average time) does it take to do your MBA, and what did it cost?

just have a simple question. If I am an airline pilot or have any flying position for 30 years and I lose my medical with a accounting degree (or any degree other than aviation) who would hire me with no experience and a 30 year old degree?

I think it costs around 20,000 and takes 2 years. Thats only for tuition. I dont want to depend on myself flying as a pilot for the next 30 yrs. I would like to gain great experience as a line pilot and then consider going into management someday. I think an MBA would be very helpful. Even if it is an aviation one it still should have the core courses any traditional MBA would have. I like the aviation part b/c it will keep me interested.

Cost me around $20,000. I did mine full-time and it took me 4 semesters to earn it. I think part time MBAs usually need about 2-3 years.

JSPilot; If you're looking to fly the line the next 30 years then it probably would not be worth it unless you plan on starting a business on the side. Then it might be justifiable.

RRambone; you are correct about the Aviation MBA. The core courses are the same as a regular MBA. You take an economics class however the focus of discussion, reading, case studies, and assignments center around aviation. Same with Finance, Accounting, labour relations etc...

Both a good and bad thing. GOOD if you KNOW you're going to pursue an aviation career and have a real interest in aviation business. Also GOOD for building contacts within the biz. I've got friends and former classmates spread out in basically every airline head office in the USA. That could come in handy someday, who knows.
BAD because it could conceivably make you look a bit less marketable to a hiring manager outside of aviation vs. somebody from a more traditional MBA program.

Hope this helps.

Really, according to your posts degrees are unnecessary and having an MBA is a waste of time. Ever hear of not putting all your eggs in one basket?
I guess that's why your at freight lifer based at a airport thats better days are in the past.
See ya

Latest resources

Back