College Educated Pilots vs Management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jafo20 said:
There's a lot to be said for the security of being able to pay your bills if your eyeballs or heart go bad, too.

Agreed. I don't know why people don't get this concept....it seems like a no brainer to me.

Oh well, why should I care? I got my back up.

When I was in college, I was really frustrated that I wasn't flying. Now, two years out, I'm in about the same spot I'd have been in if I'd never gone. So, I've come out by getting the degree.

As for quality of pilot, I'd say people who push hard to get something done have similar mentalities. People who are born into money have entirely different mind-sets.

The guys I meet who worked their ass off at the University of STATE, climbing enlisted ranks to go to O school or moving back home with mom and dad to scrape up enough dough for a multi-engine rating all tend to be decent sticks. More importantly, they usually have some integrity.

People who are the sons/daughters of admirals, have mom and dad send 'em to ERAU with a Porsche or pencil-whip their time tend to be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ty sticks. More importantly, their lack of integrity can be seen before you even talk to 'em.

I'm getting preachy. Somebody throw a rock at me.

Ty Webb said:
Why don't you quit playing with your sheepskin and do a little research, "Mr. Collegiality"?

College Educated Pilots vs Management. The premise of this topic was to post opinions on whether or not the recent trends to make a college education optional in the application process could be interpreted as a desire by most airline management teams to create a pilot group less capable of dealing toe-to-toe with airline management, especially concerning contractual issues. So, while I quit "playing with my sheepskin", why don't you wipe my man-spackle out of your eyes enough to read more carefully, Mr. Jackassity.

Your point was refuted in almost every way imaginable, and with multiple examples given. No one agreed with your premise. . . . except you.

Common sense says that it is wrong . . . . pilots who did not go to college presumably have more industry experience, not less, and are probably more familiar with the nuances of contracts, scheduling, rigs, "Soft Time", and the like . . .

Speaking of "Soft time" . . . . I hear most of your time is soft time . . . at least, that's what you wife told me.

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
Does Airtran pay much attention to whether you have a degree or not?

From what I have seen, it is not part of the pre-screening process. What weight an individual interviewer puts on it, I couldn't tell you.

I think if you get the interview, and are reasonably articulate, it's probably not an issue.

MAGNUM!! said:
Good one, jacka$$. If you could comprehend English, you'd see that he offered no opinion on whether or not HE thought it was white collar, and you'd see that I offered no judgement on whether he thought it white collar or not. I just said it was up to him without attacking him one way or the other.

Now go f*** yourself.

MAGNUM,

I guess you didnt get my sarcasm. I find his remark rediculous. Even more rediculous is that he qualifies it with "because a NWA 400 pilot told me so".

I was siding with you.

TexaSWA said:
MAGNUM,

I guess you didnt get my sarcasm. I find his remark rediculous. Even more rediculous is that he qualifies it with "because a NWA 400 pilot told me so".

I was siding with you.

Well you guys keep hangin out in " Ima Doctor and I wanna be a millionair" land and we'll see where it gets ya. Personally I like to keep myself centered in REALITY.

There is a reason guys, why a pair of shoes are priced less than $100. Because anymore than that and people tend to where the ones they have until they fall off their feet. There is a reason that airfair is priced at what it is. Because anymore than that and people will drive or vacation in their back yards. Its called ,,,wait a min,,,its called ,,,its called,,,ECONOMICS<<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So when all you guys finally give up on the raising fares thing, maybe we may make progress elswhere. When reality finally comes around and knocks you guys flat on your A$$es you will say " Willow was right".

Oh and TexaSWA, if you really do fly for SWA, your airline is the reason all these other guys in here have so much angst. Your airline charges $39 to go from DTW to ORD. NWA charges $380

Last edited:
YGBSM said:
Cool. How has arguing for less respect and less pay worked out for you so far?

Probably about the same as yours,,,the differencs is my argument is not an exercise in FUTILITY,,,plus I probably get less blue in the face as you.

WillowRunVortex said:
Well you guys keep hangin out in " Ima Doctor and I wanna be a millionair" land and we'll see where it gets ya. Personally I like to keep myself centered in REALITY.

There is a reason guys, why a pair of shoes are priced less than $100. Because anymore than that and people tend to where the ones they have until they fall off their feet. There is a reason that airfair is priced at what it is. Because anymore than that and people will drive or vacation in their back yards. Its called ,,,wait a min,,,its called ,,,its called,,,ECONOMICS<<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So when all you guys finally give up on the raising fares thing, maybe we may make progress elswhere. When reality finally comes around and knocks you guys flat on your A$$es you will say " Willow was right".

Oh and TexaSWA, if you really do fly for SWA, your airline is the reason all these other guys in here have so much angst. Your airline charges $39 to go from DTW to ORD. NWA charges $380

nevermind...

Name one airline that has ever used a fighter acft in its operation and then I might agree with you. How you view your training and the effort you put into it is a personal issue and seeing both military and civilian trained pilots I can safely say that both groups equally have their good and bad pilots.
Make no mistake though, we are labor.

Latest resources

Back