College degree to fly cargo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go to college

I agree ,,,definitely get a 4 year degree, no matter what.

However, with regard to CaptMark's reply. To REALISTICALLY have a shot at his job you better sign up for an 8 year pilot gig in the military (preferably Air Force) after college. Yes they hire the token civilian applicant but they are just that,,,token.

So, after your college and your 8 year commitment, you will be at least 30 years old and have about 2000 TT (maybe).

At that age with that low time you better dam_n well hope you get hired at Federal Express. Your regional pilot counter-part will have a 4 year degree and about 8000 TT with about 6000 PIC Jet at that age, all in the civilian passenger realm.

Definitely get the degree but don't bank on FedEx.

Actually, the AF committment is 10 years now from when you pin on your wings. Add in OTS, wait time and 13 months at UPT and your total service is between 11-12 years depending on the wait from OTS to starting UPT. At that point, you can make a strong argument for staying in for 20 to get the retirement and then go fly elsewhere.

pilotyip went to college and has more degrees than Capt. Mark, still does not make Capt. Mark's money, go figure. Luck and timing is the difference. I do however make more than 94% of the wages earners in the US. The degree will not necessarily make you competitive for FedEx. The best way is to fly and go to college on the side. Fly for a FedEx feeder; build hours while getting a degree on the side that a FedEx feeder pays for. But I am having a ball and can not wait to get up in the morning and go to work. Still living my dream. If you go to college for 4 years before you start real flying, you will be behind the 8 ball for the start of your career. BTW if you will only be happy working for FedEx, there is good chance you will be unhappy. Fly airplanes because you like to.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
If you go to college for 4 years before you start real flying, you will be behind the 8 ball for the start of your career.

i don't know about that..i went 4 years to college and got hired at fdx at 25..youngest in class by 4 years...i wasn't behind any 8 ball...and if your goal is Fedex..GO FOR IT!! it is the only place i wanted to work..and i love the job...i don't miss the ratted out cargo lears...sorry pilotyip! and sorry i only have 2 ERAU degrees which probably amount to zilch in the nonaviation world..but i got me where i am so i am happy...good luck clear&amillion

Capt. Mark again you confirm that luck and timing are key ingredients to combine with skill and desire. Hired at 25 at FedEx is lucky.

no doubt there is luck involved...still have to be qualified and perform in the interview...but my last words to clear&amillion were "good LUCK"...

I have no college degree.

YET.

My plan was to go to flight school right out of high school and get my ratings, then build hours instructing while going to college.

Well being unaware of the way things actually were I came to find out I could not afford college on an instructor's salary, especially with my school loan that I'm responsible for.

I learned alot about the world and the way things work in the past 2 years. One thing being that it's a dog-eat-dog world and only the strongest survive. Someone once told me to pay yourself before you pay anyone else. Most importantly I learned how much more there is to learn haha.

Anyway now I'm in at Airnet just waiting for a class date, so with the increased pay I may be able to start taking some classes, cause I really want a degree.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have started with college right off the bat and just done my ratings as I went along. Other times i'm glad I did it the way I did.

I also just found out that I'm good at ranting
My 2 cents

Flysher, you are going to come out a head of many of the college first guys. Your wisdom is unseen by the educated masses.

Latest resources

Back