• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College degree required at united?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's funny how flight school doesn't equate to "displaying a minimal level of discipline in finishing something."

I'm amazed at how many pilots I flew with at my regional who all had the same story. They went to college, dropped out, and then went to Delta Connection Academy. They all expected to be at Delta or Southwest within a few years. Five years later they are all still flying for the same regional. A few years ago, anyone could go from 0 time to a regional in less than two years. Flight training has been watered down to the point that a degree is a lot better measure of someone.

I also noticed that the college graduate pilots on this forum are very "spelling" challenged. Maybe a degree should be optional. I never noticed one bit of difference at my major airline between college graduates and those without a degree. I really think all it proves is you completed something. It doesn't help make you a good pilot if you can read.

Are you kidding me?? Why don't we make math skills optional as well. Hell why don't we make so if can get a GED then your in. Do you clowns want the career to be worth something or just make it an easy job to get??? Get real.

Instead of college, I raised a son, and worked as much as I could to pay for flying lessons through a local FBO. I've never failed a checkride nor a written test. I'm sure college would have been fun, and a lot less work than the path I chose, but it wasn't in the cards at the time, and honestly, now I just don't want to pay $1000 a class for something that I may or not need. I've got over 7000 hours, 1500 jet PIC, owned my own flight school and charter company, have never been violated, or failed a PC or loft, and I'm not qualified for a job flying the same pax I fly today in a larger airplane.

The problem is that many pilots have all of the qualifications you have AND have a college degree. There is a huge oversupply of pilots right now as there always has been for the past 2 or 3 decades, so the airlines can afford to be picky.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, some of the best Aviators I have known, skipped college and started flying Twin Beeches or non sked 707's instead of sitting in a classroom. They ended up at the airlines too and could fly circles around their "educated" counterparts.

I have encountered some pilots that think they are pretty wonderful because of the college they went to. By and large they are not as wonderful as they think they are.

I couldn't agree more! Right out of high school I started working as a baggage handler and made my way to the ticketing side of the airline. Then moved up to the Lead Position of the ramp and customer service side. Eventually I went on to be a Flight Attendant for a couple of years, while learning to fly on the side. So I believe I bring more to the table with all my experiences in the industry.

I couldn't agree more! Right out of high school I started working as a baggage handler and made my way to the ticketing side of the airline. Then moved up to the Lead Position of the ramp and customer service side. Eventually I went on to be a Flight Attendant for a couple of years, while learning to fly on the side. So I believe I bring more to the table with all my experiences in the industry.

Yeah cause serving coca cola and throwing bags has a direct transferable skill.

I'm amazed at how many pilots I flew with at my regional who all had the same story. They went to college, dropped out, and then went to Delta Connection Academy. They all expected to be at Delta or Southwest within a few years. Five years later they are all still flying for the same regional. A few years ago, anyone could go from 0 time to a regional in less than two years. Flight training has been watered down to the point that a degree is a lot better measure of someone.

Not all.... I took the aforementioned path(although I did graduate from college), spent 4 months at a commuter, got furloughed. 3 and one half years at another commuter, and went to work for SWA. Captain at SWA for last several years...

However, when I was at Delta Academy, it was called Comair Academy... 1995-1996

And another thing; One of the best guys I ever flew with at SWA was Hoot Gibson. Hoot was turned down by the United HR dept. Go figure!

Couldn't agree more. In fact, some of the best Aviators I have known, skipped college and started flying Twin Beeches or non sked 707's instead of sitting in a classroom. They ended up at the airlines too and could fly circles around their "educated" counterparts.

I have encountered some pilots that think they are pretty wonderful because of the college they went to. By and large they are not as wonderful as they think they are.

Exacty how do you fly circles around someone. I have never done that or had someone else do it to me. Really, we fly ILS's, LNAV/VNAV approaches or visuals. Most of the time the autopilot is on. Anyone who skips college to fly a twin beech or a non sked 707 is dumb. The skill you are learning is obsolete.

Exacty how do you fly circles around someone. I have never done that or had someone else do it to me. Really, we fly ILS's, LNAV/VNAV approaches or visuals. Most of the time the autopilot is on. Anyone who skips college to fly a twin beech or a non sked 707 is dumb. The skill you are learning is obsolete.

While I agree with you that skipping out on college is not the best idea, I disagree with you on the obsolete skills comment.

Along with flying NDB approaches, needle to needle navigation, and other dinosaur stuff, the pilot is hopefully learning important command skills.

But again, don't skip out on college if you can avoid it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back