• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College degree required at united?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Couldn't agree more. In fact, some of the best Aviators I have known, skipped college and started flying Twin Beeches or non sked 707's instead of sitting in a classroom. They ended up at the airlines too and could fly circles around their "educated" counterparts.

I have encountered some pilots that think they are pretty wonderful because of the college they went to. By and large they are not as wonderful as they think they are.
I agree 100%

I also noticed that the college graduate pilots on this forum are very "spelling" challenged. Maybe a degree should be optional. I never noticed one bit of difference at my major airline between college graduates and those without a degree. I really think all it proves is you completed something. It doesn't help make you a good pilot if you can read.

Great post! I'm paid to fly, not edit papers. I can't spell to save my life. So what? I use spell checker when it matters and the last time it mattered was when I updated my resume. Hoping not to have to do that again, however if I do then I'm sure spell check will still be around to help.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, some of the best Aviators I have known, skipped college and started flying Twin Beeches or non sked 707's instead of sitting in a classroom. They ended up at the airlines too and could fly circles around their "educated" counterparts.

I have encountered some pilots that think they are pretty wonderful because of the college they went to. By and large they are not as wonderful as they think they are.

That is true and spot on. However, there needs to be some way to sort out the resumes. A college degree preferred does that. Not saying it is right or fair it just helps the HR department do their job.

That is true and spot on. However, there needs to be some way to sort out the resumes. A college degree preferred does that. Not saying it is right or fair it just helps the HR department do their job.

+1. It's their game and we have to play by their rules.... Wish I came to that realization years ago… Well it was more denial....

It's the same everywhere.... do you need 20/20 to fly in the military? Not really, but you do to get into the program initially. Do you really need a college degree to be an elementary school teacher? Try getting a job without one. The college degree just displays a minimal level of discipline in finishing something, lord knows with technology today, it's not quite the process it used to be to get a degree.
LUV

It's funny how flight school doesn't equate to "displaying a minimal level of discipline in finishing something."

I know it requires the correct answers to questions pertaining to "politics" and "what community organizations I volunteer with."

What I don't know is what the specific questions were, or what the correct answers are for same. That is because they announced furloughs right after I was called to congratulate me on passing Phase 3 of their interview process.

I remain dying to know what this recruiter was referring to when she gave me this helpful tip for the telephonic interview session in Phase 4. Has anyone any knowledge as to this line of questioning? Me thinks honesty would be exactly the wrong policy in answering Mizz Thang's questions!

It's funny how flight school doesn't equate to "displaying a minimal level of discipline in finishing something."

Good point, although everyone went to flight school of some sort..... I'm not defending it as much as just pointing out it's a discriminator. Actually the "college" push in our country has been a scam for many. Many would be better off in a trade school of some sort. I had a blast in college and looking back, it would have been a shame to miss out on that much unabashed fun and singular responsibility. I would study differently now though so the phrase goes that education is wasted on the youth.....

Sadly, flight school can be just like college for many.

It's more a matter of persistence/perseverance and/or financial backing than it is having the discipline to finish.

Instead of college, I raised a son, and worked as much as I could to pay for flying lessons through a local FBO. I've never failed a checkride nor a written test. I'm sure college would have been fun, and a lot less work than the path I chose, but it wasn't in the cards at the time, and honestly, now I just don't want to pay $1000 a class for something that I may or not need. I've got over 7000 hours, 1500 jet PIC, owned my own flight school and charter company, have never been violated, or failed a PC or loft, and I'm not qualified for a job flying the same pax I fly today in a larger airplane.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back