College Degree in 4 weeks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilotyip

Can you tell me which turbo prop and fixed wing jet aircraft are in the U.S. Army Fleet? Do the C-130's that paratroopers jump from have Army Pilots? Guess I'm naieve here, but for all these years since the Army Air Corps became the U.S. Airforce, I thought helo's were all the Army flew.

Anyone?

Thanks

The Army flies C-12(King Air), Sherpa(some bus with wings not sure if spelled correctly!), I dont know about presently but they have had numerous other fixed wing aircraft,including;
Beech Queen air, mohawk, bird dog, beever, caribou, etc. If you ever get to go to the ft. Eustis, VA Army Aviation museum you'll be surprised at what the army has flown!

Pilotyip

Not to be "picky", but there is no such thing as a High School "Degree" It's only a "Diploma"

I guess I find it very difficult to accept your statement that the Army has jet pilots with only a high school education. I know there are warrant officers who fly helo's, but h.s. jet pilots who are not commisioned officers.................? It takes a four year BA or BS in something to become an officer.

WO's fly jets

True you need a college degree to be commissioned, but then very little of the flying in the Army is done by commissioned officers. WO's fly all of the fixed wing airplanes in the Army G-5, Citation, Dash-7, F-27, C-12, CA-212, etc. And I personally know some who do not have a college degrees.

Thank you for the information...........I just did not know. Even though I found it difficult to accept, I do accept your information as first hand and knowledgeable.

What do I know of Army aviation? I'm an old Marine enlisted guy, and that service is pretty much self contained in it's air wings; Helo's, Transports, Jet fighters, Carrier landings, et al. Back in the olden days of the USMC, in the late 50's the Marine Corps still had a few of a dying breed, that were known as "flying master seargents. A few of them were at El Toro when I was stationed there, and flew C-130's out of there.

OK, you guys are screwing this all up. Now, let me screw it up even more. The Army has made it a common practice to commission Warrant Officers these days (why? don't ask me). You don't have to have a degree to be a regular Commissioned Officer (ie 2d Lt.) You can go to OCS with as little as 2 years of college (if you're active duty). Warrant Officers are officers, maybe of a different breed, but officers nonetheless. Lots of Warrant Officers do have College degrees. And yes, the Army has turboprops and some jets. Confused yet?
The big difference is that Warrant Officers usually fly for their entire career-not true for the Commissioned (Lt and so on) types.

Discliamer: this was true when I was a CW2.

Skank

Question for you on the subordinate, and or superior officer roles in the Army. I know all the reporting relationships on the Commissioned offcer and Enlisted ranks, i.e, 2nd Lt, 1st Lt, Capt. Major, Lt Col, Colonel, Brigadier Gen, Major General, Lt. Gen, etc.

Just curious. I am fairly certain, that a warrant officer of any grade (four levels, right?), can give a direct order to any enlisted person, even a Sergeant Major (although it might not be a 'smart' thing to do) where does the reporting structure of rank in the officer corps change. ie, can a newly minted shave tail Lt., give a legal, direct order to a Chief Warrant Officer? Or are all WO's above in rank to all enlisted, and below in rank to all commissioned officers?

If you drive through the University of Florida campus with your window down, they'll throw a diploma in your car.

Go Dawgs.:cool:

Latest resources

Back