College degree at regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I was just curious. On average, what percentage of regional airline pilots have a 4-year college degree? My guess is 60%.

On average, what percentage of regional airline pilots have a 4-year college degree? My guess is 60%.

More like 90%

We have had more than a few guys running around with MBA's and Doctorates who were career changers.

Most (85%+) just have their Bachelors.

I've been with Comair a little over a year and a half. In the course of that time I've had the opportunity to talk to dozens of pilots about their backgrounds. You know the typical cockpit/crewroom/classroom conversations about where you are from, where did you learn to fly, got any kids, are you married, where did you go to college, etc, etc. So far I only know of 2 or 3 pilots that didn't have a four year degree. Everybody else has at least a BA/BS and more than a couple had graduate level degrees. Even the ones that didn't have a four year degree all had at least 2 years of college. One of them, me, has an associate degree. My informal survey suggests that upwards of 95% of of Comair's pilots have 4 year degrees. Then again Comair isn't a 'regional', it's a jet national.

This one blew me away: At my Comair interview, there was a Navy Surgeon...not flight surgeon, but a real surgeon who cut on people. He was retiring from the Navy and did not want to deal with all the malpractice insurance and I'm sure had a lot of other personal reasons. But this guy had been around a long time, I'm guessing he was about 50 or 55. I don't know if he got the job or not, but I thought it was interesting.

At Lakes it was over 90% with college degrees with the vast majority being 4 year degrees. At Air Wisconsin, it is most likely the same mix. It might not be as high as the jet national comair since we are only a jet/prop international carrier. Oh well. 60% is definitely a low estimate. It is much higher. Get the 4 year degree.

Seee Yaaaaaaaa!

Caveman said:
Then again Comair isn't a 'regional', it's a jet national.

Ego aside, it is just a matter of semantics. Unless you can make $100, 000 plus, as a 3rd year F/O, you work for a regional.

For further illustration of this point please see the new thread entitled "You might be a regional pilot if...":D

MetroSheriff wrote:

"Ego aside, it is ....."

You're kidding right? We are talking about pilots here.
:)

Latest resources

Back