• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan's Upgrade Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It also helps keep the failure rate for upgrades down.

There are two kinds of F/Os at any airline.
1. The one's who have been using the time in the right seat productively to prepare for eventually moving to the left.
2. The one's who are basically along for the ride, to collect the measley paycheck and do the bare minimum.

The interview process basically helps protect #2 from himself from an almost guaranteed training failure.

Guy #1 shouldn't have any problem with the interview.

I'm not part of the interview process, but I'm the one that has to fill out the pink and clean up the mess afterward.

When ALPA eventually comes on the property, the interview will go away, but for now it seems to work OK.

When ALPA eventually comes on the property, the interview will go away, but for now it seems to work OK.

When I was working the ALPA drive, I talked to a couple of your pilots that were denied on the first interview and had to try again. One was told that he "smiled too much." When you allow objectivity into the process, then you allow people with vendettas and ulterior motives to affect your career. Some suit in Virginia shouldn't be deciding whether you get a shot at upgrade or not. Your number on the seniority list should.

One was told that he "smiled too much." When you allow objectivity into the process, then you allow people with vendettas and ulterior motives to affect your career.

Agreed.

I'm not a fan of the interview process either, i think that is what the checkride is for, but I do believe that in recent cases, those that were denied an upgrade in the first interview probably didn't need to be captains anyway. Just a thought. Although we have had some go through the interview process and then proceed to fail the checkride..so I guess it doesnt really matter anyway.

When you allow objectivity into the process, then you allow people with vendettas and ulterior motives to affect your career. Some suit in Virginia shouldn't be deciding whether you get a shot at upgrade or not. Your number on the seniority list should.

I believe you mean subjectivity, not objectivity.

Latest resources

Back