Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alaska82 said:
Decent pay, pay during traing and 10 or 12 days off guarenteed sounds great. Everyone talks about this major hiring boom in 2007 and with the upgrade times at Colgan I'll be ready for this boom. You can't argue with that. To me its a no brainer...... What do you think?

Ah to be young and clueless again! :D

Yeah, I think what you see initially is very different from what it is. First, those 10 days off will become 8 or 9 days off because you will be junior manned. There is no premium pay for jr manning, it doesn't even go on top of your credit guarentee.... so you can be jr manned, lose out on days off, and not even make a dime over 75 hrs. If money is what you were talking about, you will also lose out on per diem (unless you tdy), it's not much, but that's an extra $500/month, that's about what each of your paycheck will be (2x/mo). Any place that you go where you must upgrade in a year for you to go to, I think is not worth it, because things always change, there are no promises. Work rules....there are not really any... they will take you off a scheduled trip in your line so that your captain can do IOE for a new fo, but you will not be off with pay like most places, instead they give you 5 or 6 days of reserve! There are obviously much more to what they do and what you will see, but I think you just have to take CJ for what it is. 5 or 6 months into it, you will have to do your own evaluation... how important is upgrading vs. everything else. I don't think there's a right answer for all, just how it fits you best. Good luck.

Clarifications on 2007 boom

Clarifications on the 2007 hiring boom. Since I started posting this in 2002, it was not intended to be a "Majors" hiring boom. Although there are new majors doing hiring JB and AT. It will be an increase in new jobs to levels seen in 1997 and 1987. Many of these will be the result of a pilot moving, such as leaving Colgan to take a job at JB, that is 2 new jobs, the pilot hired by JB and the pilot hired at Colgan. You could expand this further and the pilot now leaves Air Net to go to Colgan. Right now, there is mini pilot shortage on the lower end of the scale. Right now Pinnacle and Grand Aire are continually advertising for pilots. I would assume that there are many more out also having trouble filling their cockpit seats. All the signs are there; here comes the 2007-hiring boom.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Right now Pinnacle and Grand Aire are continually advertising for pilots. I would assume that there are many more out also having trouble filling their cockpit seats. All the signs are there; here comes the 2007-hiring boom.

There you go, TWO QUALITY airlines looking for pilots. I should know, I work for one of the QUALITY airlines listed!

Nothing was ever said about quaility, just they were having trouble filling classes. I know at the ATL Air Inc show Pinnacle had classes that they could not fill. I believe the hiring pressure forced them to now start paying pilots while in training. Showing pressure on the bottom will improve things.

Don't you get around $600 per pay check when on first year pay at colgan? Probably depends on uniform deductions and what not, i know i made $600 per check after taxes. If you have less then 10 days off per month at colgan you get an extra 3:50 or so for each day under 10 off you work.

Colgan Rocks! I don't know what all yall are talking about. you get there you get in a plane and you fly! The only thing I hate is walking by those guys in the shiny EMB170 with the apu running staying nice and cool.

When it comes down to it all regionals suck

Latest resources

Back