• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heywatch this, they actually paid you under the 75 hours? Or did you still get paid 75 hours?

No I am going to get paid my 75 hours, but the point is why do we get to bid on schedules based on so called seniority when in reality I just get 75 hours pay.

Example: I bid and get awarded a line based on my seniority of 85 hours and 13 days off. But in reality I get paid 75 hours (aka $1021.00 takehome) and only get 12 days off.

Forced to work on my day off, and yet still only get 75 hours. Tell me again why I even bid. Why don't we just get paid salary, regardless of what we work.

$40 and hour should equal $40,000+ per year, NOT $36,000 per year.

The point is I came here for the quality of life not for a FAT paycheck, but in reality I get neither. I am forced to sit reserve with a 60 min call out at IAH to the airplane and have my schedule changed.

Last edited:
"And now for something completely different" said by Monty Python, but could very well be the first page of the crew sched manual. Glad to see things haven't changed...............;)

Alright i got you. What you talk about is usually worse on the FO's. They usually get taken off line and put on reserve when the checkairman does IOE. But, you should get paid for what you bid if you show up for work. However, you shouldn't really get anything, because we have no work rules. People at comair and what not are reading this and laughing pretty hard i'm sure right now. Especially all the ones that have quit here the past few years.

I usually avoid working days off by never answering a 703 number. Sometimes helps to not check out on your last day on.

OK OK OK.
I'm tired of all this Colgan bashing. It's very simple really.
Colgan Air is an airline like any other, and a company like any other. They all have issues. Some employees love it, some hate it, some just don't care. But Colgan is good for some things.

Personally, I am quite happy to be at Colgan. It's not that bad. I don't necessarily mean to defend this company, but I wish to provide some of my personal input, so please excuse the rant. Feel free to tear it apart as you please, I don't really care.

1:) Fast upgrade. The only that counts in this industry is TURBINE PIC time. You can have all the SIC Jet you want, it won't count for sh!t other than your total time. Ask all the old farts you want, that's what they all say. Majors love commuter pilots cuz they know we work harder than most.

2:) Pay isn't that great, but we are the highest paid Beech pilots in the country. All companies make pay mistakes sometimes. It happens, get over it. Yeah yeah so you make more second year flying an RJ, fine. But at Colgan you're upgrading to captain. Also, if they call you on a day off, then DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. It's that easy.

3:) You get to actually be a pilot, not a system monitor, or a switch flicker, or computer programmer. I know some are more interested in the instant gratification that an air conditioned jet and the QOL that can sometimes go along with that. But that ain't fer me right now. I'll go for QOL when I'm sitting in a 737 or 717 or whatever bigger stuff might come along.

4:) My personal QOL here is great however. I get about 12 to 14 days off, fly about 95 hours a month, and my commute home is a one legger with Southwest. ONCE AGAIN, I realize that it is not always so perfect for everyone.

5:) About maintenance. Colgan can be pretty dumb about some of their logistics, it's true. However, the airplanes are not only 20 years old, but ridden hard and put away wet. I'm actually surprised things aren't broken more often. Sure I've seen 6 stupid MELs, or even some stuff not get fixed coming out of a maintenance base. It's not that big a deal.

Finally, I realize Colgan is far from perfect. Sure I'd love to have a working VCM all the time, and not bother with st00pid pressurization issues, or whatever else can be thrown at you, but that's part of the deal that comes with Colgan. At least it's Turbine time, a quick upgrade, and HIGH-QUALITY time at that.
Colgan is to be take for what it is, nothing more. It's a steppping stone, not a career company.

Spitfire said:
Colgan Air...It's not that bad.

Hey. That's the official slogan of the Fresno Chamber of Commerce.

FRESNO...It's not that bad.

Spitfire said:
About maintenance. Sure I've seen 6 stupid MELs, or even some stuff not get fixed coming out of a maintenance base. It's not that big a deal.

"Not that big a deal"?!? Man, do you have a lot to learn about this business. I hope you live long enough to learn it.

That has to be one of the STOOOOPIDEST comments I have ever heard on flightinfo....Home of the stupid comment.

Spitfire said:
1:) Fast upgrade. The only that counts in this industry is TURBINE PIC time. You can have all the SIC Jet you want, it won't count for sh!t other than your total time. Ask all the old farts you want, that's what they all say. Majors love commuter pilots cuz they know we work harder than most.

The ONLY thing that counts? So you make the upgrade NOW what? HELLO there are thousands of pilots with at least 1000 pic Jet/turbine looking for a major job. How about have a safe aircraft, reasonable pay, and some benefits with a schedule why you wait for a MAJOR job that may or may not ever come.

Spitfire said:
2:) Pay isn't that great, but we are the highest paid Beech pilots in the country. All companies make pay mistakes sometimes. It happens, get over it. Yeah yeah so you make more second year flying an RJ, fine. But at Colgan you're upgrading to captain. Also, if they call you on a day off, then DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. It's that easy.

OK so tell me. How many other Beech pilots are there? Now lets move on to the SAAB guys in IAH. We aren't the highest paid. We aren't getting 92 hours, we don't get 16 days off, we don't even really get a schedule. And if they call you on RESERVE to tell you your working on your day off, do you not answer the phone too. Please come visit the HOT side and then preach.

Also pay count's for more than just an hourly wage. How about 45 min repos, or swaps, or min days, or 16 hour duty days worth 4 hours. Hell if I get paid $100/hour and work 16 hours duty, but only credit 1 hour - I guess I can't bitch because I would be the highest paid SAAB driver right.

Spitfire said:
3:) You get to actually be a pilot, not a system monitor, or a switch flicker, or computer programmer. I know some are more interested in the instant gratification that an air conditioned jet and the QOL that can sometimes go along with that. But that ain't fer me right now. I'll go for QOL when I'm sitting in a 737 or 717 or whatever bigger stuff might come along.

So you get to be a pilot and not switch buttons, but your waiting to fly a 737. Yea I get it. I don't really care what I fly. I love the SAAB (minus the cabin temperture), but can I have a QOL if I can't have the pay? PLEASE!

Spitfire said:
4:) My personal QOL here is great however. I get about 12 to 14 days off, fly about 95 hours a month, and my commute home is a one legger with Southwest. ONCE AGAIN, I realize that it is not always so perfect for everyone.

And if I had that QOL I wouldn't bitch either. But then again these are the BITCH boards right. So if I want to rant and rave about my F-up schedule, I can. Thanks for reading. Now would you bitch if you had our schedule down here.

Spitfire said:
5:) About maintenance. Colgan can be pretty dumb about some of their logistics, it's true. However, the airplanes are not only 20 years old, but ridden hard and put away wet. I'm actually surprised things aren't broken more often. Sure I've seen 6 stupid MELs, or even some stuff not get fixed coming out of a maintenance base. It's not that big a deal.

NO COMMENT - Maybe I just strive for a hire standard.

Spitfire said:
It's a stepping stone, not a career company.

I guess I just had hopes of being more than a stepping stone, at least not a small step!

Latest resources

Back