Colgan Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aviator1978

A friend of mine recently was hired by Colgan, and told me that if he left before the end of his first year, that he would be required to pay back $16,000 (the cost of training) pro rated for the time he spent there.

My question is: Is there anything in the contract that would require him to pay it back if it was an involuntary leave (i.e. laid off, fired)?

Seems to me if the contract is worded in some legalise, colgan could "tap" this resource if they ever got hard up.

Do all the other regionals have contracts like this as well?

aviator1978 said:
Do all the other regionals have contracts like this as well?
Nope, most reputable companies don’t need to pin you down with a contract. We don’t have one at XJT. Maybe one of the Colgan fellas can help you on the contract.

Last edited:
I dont think they would really go after someone for that $$. Its expensive enough to put the lawyers to work chasing down money from pilots that are flat broke to begin with. 16K!!!! CRJ contract at Mesa is 10k for the year. Im prob going to leave before my year is up. If someone came after you for the $$$, it is easy to get out of. Just chat with a lawyer and they'll tell you why. Also, if the word got out that an airline went after a pilot for $$ and the pilot won..... then we would all know that we could get out of it. Its just a scare tactic to try and keep people around. Im sure there are a few that will try and collect, but who knows........

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
Nope, most reputable companies don’t need to pin you down with a contract. We don’t have one at XJT. Maybe one of the Colgan fellas can help you on the contract.

Yeah okay assclown have fun upgrading what number are you like 2700 lol. By the way the era of the regional jet is over turboprops are making a comeback.

There is a clause in the contract that you don't owe anything if Colgan initiates the separation. Its only if you choose to leave their employ that you owe the money.

I have also heard from a lawyer friend that most of the contract is unenforcable (but no plans to leave mine early).

They also might turn down interviewees who have or are willing to leave training contracts at other airlines (there are some that have them).

Colgan's contract

I left Colgan a while back and got a nasty letter from thier lawyers threatening to sue me for the remainder of the contract. I'd like to hear from anyone out there who has successfully made the colgan contract problem go away. Has anyone actually been sued by them?

Thx,

GEORGE DUBYA said:
Yeah okay assclown.
If you're going to resort to name calling...

-cockgobbler-

Have a nice day

exregionalpilot said:
I left Colgan a while back and got a nasty letter from thier lawyers threatening to sue me for the remainder of the contract. I'd like to hear from anyone out there who has successfully made the colgan contract problem go away. Has anyone actually been sued by them?

Thx,

Colgan does ultimately pursue their pilots for contract breeches. I spoke with an employment lawyer in Northern Virginia, and he gave the contract a read, and did some research. He told me that the contracts are legally enforceable despite all the reasoning we come up with to try and slip out of them. I know several folks that have received the nasty letter from Colgan, then from the lawyers dictating a timeline with which to comply. You need to ask yourself this question, if you choose to leave before 1 year, are you willing to pay to have a lawyer fight with Colgan over this contract. In the long run, you may end up paying more than the buyout is worth. Now you accomplished nothing. Whether Colgan will go to court is anybody's guess, but that is exactly why the contract is so effective... we don't know, and we don't wanna deal with it. So we pay. But do we have to pay 100%... NO! Bottom line, if you are going to leave early, as many do after getting a taste of the schedule and MEL's, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! Contracts are the desparate action of a desparate airline. Isn't it funny that airline mgmt. expects us to abide by a contract, but yet they don't abide by the CBA's that they agree to?

Last edited:
Master Shake said:
If you're going to resort to name calling...

-cockgobbler-

Have a nice day

He is a Newb, he will learn someday that its a fliippin job some suck more than others. Once the new wears off.

Ask the Colgan Pilots that are working here now if they think it was a good move or not. I am curious what they think. Anyone?

He is definitly a cockgobbler, good choice of name for him.

TEXAN AVIATOR said:

XJT doesn't have a contract today, you just used to pay upfront. Which is worse, having a contract to pay back if you leave or paying for your own training?

Things do change over time. BTW, I went to Eagle so I didn't have to do either and that sucks too.

Latest resources

Back