• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan rumors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand all about not answering the phone. Is anybody really dumb enough to answer the phone on a day off. Thats not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the bush league tactic of calling you when you're on duty, or when you call to check out, which is also a company policy. I don't know if a lot of these tactics are used primarily on the beech, but everyone I talk to has been drafted atleast once. I have been twice in a year and a half, both times they drafted me when I was on duty, flying. They called and left a vague message and when I checked out they told me I had to work the next day, my day off. I complied once and flat refused them the second time. Nothing ever came of it, but that was before it was there in the employee handbook. I have a problem with them forcing you to call at the end of the day and being able to draft you then. If they only tried to get you on your day off, thats an easy solution. And they know nobody will answer the phone. Thats why they make you check out and thats why they draft you while you're working. I can't believe anyone would think thats ok. I have had no problems with the barter system, but them being able to arbitrarily take any day off they want, and fire me if I don't work it seems totally ridiculous. I don't want to be a Colgan basher. The place is what it is. But this policy just really bugs me. I agree that it doesn't happen much. Buts it happened to me twice, so it's not accurate to say it never happens. No one cares about the policy until they're checking out, and they just bought two tickets to see Pearl Jam at the tweeter center, and Lisa calls to tell you you're going to Altoona tomorrow! But who cares, it hasn't happened to you right.

I guess I should have said I never heard of it happening. News to me...maybe it is more of a 1900 thing where the crews are a lot thinner.

It is easy not to check out. Half the time I try to check out I get the ding and it goes to a message...so it is easy on your last day to not check out. Just say you tried byt you only got Leroy saying "Hi....."

It is a harsh rule I guess. It is supposed to be the jumior man first at the base right? That does not make it any better but I guess they have to try to have something in place to keep the trips going.

I know alot of people would say hire more crews and have more reserve lines...then we would just be in another thread complaining about being on reserve for 3 months after IOE....right?

If it really bothers you bring it up in a conference call and see what answer you get from the CP or Dot...

It is a lot like other jobs....Fireman, Policeman, Nurses, and others get mandatory overtime all the time...and some of them actually have laws that allow for it. I think if it becomes a regular occurance the pilots should ask for the policy to be reviewed.

Hope you don't get it again....or me either.

IslandDriver said:
It is a lot like other jobs....Fireman, Policeman, Nurses, and others get mandatory overtime all the time...and some of them actually have laws that allow for it. I think if it becomes a regular occurance the pilots should ask for the policy to be reviewed
Hope you don't get it again....or me either.

Don't sweat it. If you have a good excuse for not being able to fly ("My wife is 10cm dialated!"), then your set. Otherwise, kill the plane. We ALL know how easy it is to kill the plane:

CA: "FO, are you busy?"
FO: "I am not, sir."
CA: "I would like to do a walkaround with you to enhance my knowledge.
FO: "I have my book right here.
CA: "Boy, the horizontal stabilizer erosion tape looks like crap. I can't fly like that. I better put that in the book.
FO: "That's what I'd do were I captain."

Please tell me the patron saint of the crummy commuter aircraft that struggles to fly. I'll light one candle for each leg before each departure. How Catholic does that make me? I don't know, I just feel guilty and like a drink...

How true and funny! Just put the torque at 25% split durring your takeoff roll and trigger an autocorsen event, you will be at the bar in no time! hahahahah joking of course!!!!

Prop2Jet said:
How true and funny! Just put the torque at 25% split durring your takeoff roll and trigger an autocorsen event, you will be at the bar in no time! hahahahah joking of course!!!!

That's what you would think... Heck, that's what I thought too.. You'll just end up with a special ferry permit and a trip to HYA.

chperplt said:
That's what you would think... Heck, that's what I thought too.. You'll just end up with a special ferry permit and a trip to HYA.

It was real confusing starting off at my new job. I'd be trying to get a trip trade or a day off, and all i could get on the phone to make a deal was crew scheduling or the chief pilot. For weeks i kept trying to find out who was really calling the shots. Never did find out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back