• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan rumors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any colgan guys had a chance to read the new crew member employee handbook. All pretty basic stuff till you get to the part about being drafted. Its actually in our handbook that you can be drafted to fly on your day off, and if you refuse to do it, they will treat it like a missed trip/no show. You can be terminated for it. Its all there in black and white. I couldn't believe it. They can arbitrarily take any day off away and make you work, and if you say no they can sh** can you for it. But its ok though, they'll pay you an extra 3.75 hours of pay for being drafted! I can't believe our employee handbook actually has the word drafted in it. Awesome.

Pinnacle has been drafting for years. It sucks!! Now they finally got the right to refuse once a month.

ihateyourego said:
Any colgan guys had a chance to read the new crew member employee handbook. All pretty basic stuff till you get to the part about being drafted. Its actually in our handbook that you can be drafted to fly on your day off, and if you refuse to do it, they will treat it like a missed trip/no show. You can be terminated for it. Its all there in black and white. I couldn't believe it. They can arbitrarily take any day off away and make you work, and if you say no they can sh** can you for it. But its ok though, they'll pay you an extra 3.75 hours of pay for being drafted! I can't believe our employee handbook actually has the word drafted in it. Awesome.

NEVER answer your phone! but if you get told ahead of time i guess you have to do it. but i mean, it has never happened to me so i think they only would do this in a real pinch.

on another note with the hiring slowing down the upgrades will slow down to and there will soon be no point in being at colgan. i would much rather sit in the right seat of something with an apu somewhere else with better 2nd year pay.

Last edited:
Yep, it says if they contact you, you've gotta take it. If you don't want to fly, don't answer of course.

I read that today! what a bunch of BS. I was asking the lead cpt at our base and he said the same thing.... tell them u are drinking beer and would love to come in.. or, don't answer the phone! Drafted, i haven't felt like that since i left the Army after "Stop-LOSS"

Ok, its all in the word "contact" you. Leaving a message is not contacting, and you know what if I wanted to be on call 24/7 I would have been a E1 in the Army or gone to med school. 15 past, phone goes off.

This drafted bit is old news...has been around the company for a couple of years. I really do not think they ever used it. (I stand corrected below...I guess it is used more than I know)

When it first came out it was brought up in the conference call...we asked who would have the responsibility to get you to the showing...like if you were "Home" and you commute. They replied that they would positive space you and such.

You guys know how it is...Colgan has a pretty good way of wheeling and dealing trips.....I happen to Love it when scheduling calls for a favor. Always make it sound like a real inconvienience and you know you will get a day or 2 off later in the month...

Last edited:
IslandDriver said:
You guys know how it is...Colgan has a pretty good way of wheeling and dealing trips.....I happen to Love it when scheduling calls for a favor. Always make it sound like a real inconvienience and you know you will get a day or 2 off later in the month...

Most FOs at Colgan have the mistaken assumption that you can put goodwill in the crewscheduling bank and withdraw it at a later date. Not true. If you want something for a favor, get it at the time you agree to the favor. 20 minutes after you agree to pick up a pairing and want something, the shift has changed and nobody knows sh!t. Conversations usually go like this:

CS: We were wondering if you could pick up some open time on the 14th.
Me: Sure, if you get rid of my reserve day on the 23rd.
CS: I don't know if I can do that.
Me: Then no, I can't work on the 14th.
CS: Hold on
(silence)
CS: Mikey said you can have the 23rd off.

Ding Ding! Perfect response and good training for the newer guys, coming on board!

Remember 15 past, no phone
Don't recognize the # don't answer, sometimes they use their personal cell phones: this could be good if you remember the number; call them at 2 am and ask if they are working!!!
hahha
Now to c how much "colganoscopy" will occur today!

Have to agree...getting a "return favor" from scheduling is almost like getting a check from a poor FO...run to the bank and cash it cause it won't have the funds later.......

I have generally gotten time off if I really need it. When I am over gaurantee I usually do my best to take extra trips...under gaurantee I usually do the wheel and deal...cause I hate to work for free!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back