Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan pilot group

You can also buy into the whole pilot group thing to, just don't expect anything because they have not proposed anything to us. Also, it is a bit late gang for an internal committee. The only reason they care now is because ALPA is on the grounds. Other than ALPA we will still have the same work environment with this committee. Instead of sending in my cards I sending out my resumes! C yahs

I'm sure many of you are versed in the old cliche`, "divide and conquer"? Well, this is exactly what is happening before your very eyes with the creation of their site. Whatever the motivation of these two individuals is, I cannot imagine that they are so niave to think that they are really improving working conditions, pay or benefits at Colgan Air.
Everyone, myself included was shocked at the sale of Colgan to Pinnacle Air Holdings. And you know what? Even after all the ludicrous parties, aircraft orders and "warm n' fuzzy" letters from the boss in HEF things have fundamentally not changed! I say this tongue in cheek, because change is something that the Colgan managment is not something they are particularly good at. Status quo is the order of the day...
One can look at this "new" effort to "help" our pilot group by our "brethern" pilots in a variety of ways. I am going to err on the side of caution and brand it as a managment effort at union busting at it's finest (read that as UGLY). The reason I am erring on the side of caution is first and foremost I don't know or recognize a single name on the list save one...D.B. who rumor has it is on the short-list to be the next CP. I spent a good majority of my adult life putting my life in the hands of other people in the military. And, I had no problem doing it whatsoever. This however, is a whole new ballgame and I ain't so trusting of strangers anymore. I'm even less trusting of management.
Look, many of us have enjoyed and still enjoy a cordial relationship with many of the Colgan family. I personally find them to be hard-working and frugal people. However, this is BUSINESS and in the final analysis the all mighty dollar (PCL Holdings, Inc. stock price) is what the Colgan management now answers to. They were given the job to maintain the present cost structure and fundamental principles of operation that they have used for years. It was fine and dandy as little as two years ago. However, since the IAH operation started things have changed rapidly at Colgan from a size and revenue point of view.
Colgan Air is faced with perhaps it's biggest and best year depending on how the next few months go. Colgan Air's pilots are without exception one of the the MOST PRODUCTIVE in the airline industry. We've done it at the expense of days off, long hours of uncompensated time and are facing more of the same. WE can make it better, but not with the current tactics being used by those in opposition to the ALPA movement. They would do better to vote NO in a democratic election than to continue the foolish path they have decided to follow.
Perhaps the worst thing in this whole mess is that managment loves it! And, yes they will concede a few items...Maybe a dime more in per diem, or a two hour reserve call-out. BUT, I wouldn't look for much that is going to touch the bottom-line! And, as is the case with many regionals Colgan is going to continue going to the rapidly drying well of "qualified" candidates versus recruiting the "best & brightest".
Finally, to the smartasses that have said that those people that want a union are lazy and don't want to work...I'd challenge anyone on the amount of open time that I've personally picked up in addition to "other" duties. Why do I do it? ONE...I'm not FRIGGIN LAZY! TWO...This is what I am trained to do (Believe me, this industry is enough to kill the joy of bursting on top at dawn in just about anyone...Pretty freaking sad considering that I've been around airplanes since I was an infant) and lastly I have a family and need the MONEY...One last thing...NO ONE is getting by on a checkride...At least on the Beech 1900...I dare the SOB that said that to come up to me in LGA and I'll tell you what I think of that comment. COWARD

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

This committee isn't a company organized thing. It is started by PILOTS who are against a Union and are hoping to provide people with an alternative. Once they get the support they need behind them they will approach management.

Does this change how you feel about it now that you know it wasn't formed by the company but by your fellow pilots?

Think about it.

Really, this not a company organized attempt at union busting? What rock do you live under, it's being ran BY OUR FUTURE CHIEF PILOT, a future management pilot, you really think he gonna have your best interest in mind? This hair piece warring butt kisser that’s got his head so far up the company butt ya need a switchback to find it, is just trying to put himself in a better position to become a puppet, to not stand up for his pilots. Oh, I don’t know too many pilots that are gonna pay outta pocket to start the website they have, seeing how most of use can barely buy bread. Don’t tell me this is not a company backed organization! If this Colgan Pilot Group thing goes through the only thing were gonna get is some more rough prison se#, maybe the group can have Company SPIT on it first!

This committee isn't a company organized thing. It is started by PILOTS who are against a Union and are hoping to provide people with an alternative. Once they get the support they need behind them they will approach management.

Does this change how you feel about it now that you know it wasn't formed by the company but by your fellow pilots?

Think about it.
I don't think this is right. I heard from someone that management asked the senior guys to create a commitee to see what we wanted. I am pretty sure management is involved.

Here’s an idea. Let’s start an Anti-Colgan Pilot Group website, oh that’s right I have no money nor do I have the Company backing me, so let’s start here. We could have, half story posts like they do, tell the story our way and we could give daily updates. I’ll start:
1 Apr 07
1400Z
The president’s hair piece was blown off!
Moments latter he was spotted running across the taxiway chasing it down.
1 Apr 07
1523Z
The Vice President’s (aka 5By5) FO’s ears pop as the vice shoe horns himself into the flight deck. (Hope the FO goes out the top first in an evac).
1 Apr 07
Both President and Vice seen in Manassas doing maneuvers with management only seen on triple X websites!
Stay tuned for more daily updates!

Think about it.

Sorry, but I call BS. Who's paying for the website and other expenses? You expect me to believe that these "committee" leaders are paying for things themselves? Give me a break! This has the Colgan family written all over it.

Here’s an idea. Let’s start an Anti-Colgan Pilot Group website, oh that’s right I have no money nor do I have the Company backing me, so let’s start here. We could have, half story posts like they do, tell the story our way and we could give daily updates. I’ll start:
1 Apr 07
1400Z
The president’s hair piece was blown off!
Moments latter he was spotted running across the taxiway chasing it down.
1 Apr 07
1523Z
The Vice President’s (aka 5By5) FO’s ears pop as the vice shoe horns himself into the flight deck. (Hope the FO goes out the top first in an evac).
1 Apr 07
Both President and Vice seen in Manassas doing maneuvers with management only seen on triple X websites!
Stay tuned for more daily updates!

OMG!! That is mean but kinda funny. I like DB. He is a cool Cat. Nothing personal but I am not so into the commitee.

Latest resources

Back