• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan ops specs Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most operations are IFR. There are provisions for VFR but it's like pulling teeth to get it. There is one dispatcher I wouldn't even try to get it from. Every time I see his name on the release I just punch the F/O in the mouth and get it over with. I usually go VFR if there are ground stops. Harder for them to say no when you are min fuel 30 miles away.

I'll give you a straight answer. We can go VFR part 121, 91, and air cancellations close to the destination airport. We can also depart VFR if we can't get a clearance on the ground. In order to go VFR departure to destination it has to be on the release. I've done it a few times on clear night repos (never with pax on board but other folks do). When I call and make the request with dispatch I usually get a "you WANT TO DO WHAT?!!?" and then one of the older wisers says yeah thats "okay" and we are on our way. FYI Call flight service and check for TFRs on your route of flight. You fly the flight as Colgan #### and ATC usually treats you pretty good with hand offs and class B clearances and such. (Kinda like a circus novelty performer.) Good luck!

Vector Victor is right on. It was done a lot more before 9/11 but now . . . not so much. Especially you wouldn't out of Class B but out of some Class G,E airport to start the flight, yeah it works well.

We do it on occasion out of BLF. ALthough, it depends on who the dispatcher is thats handling your particular flight. They will file an IFR, and put something in the remarks that VFR is authorized at Captain's discretion. One dispatcher in particular is a real pain in the balls to get a VFR authorization (thinks he is the de facto PIC) however, another dispatcher that is no longer working at CJC would look at the WX and typically put a VFR on for us without us needing to "request" it.

Latest resources

Back