Colgan IAH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dal757

Have things smoothed out with the Colgan IAH operation. I heard there were lot's of "growing" pains at first. Any talk of expanding routes out of IAH?

Im not sure who runs the operation there, maybe CAL, but its a cluster f--k there. Had to dead head on Colgan the other day, what a mess.

I deadheaded on them the other day, things seem to run fine (although the plane was met by mechanics after we arrived, probably glad I don't know what went wrong). Maybe I just got lucky. I have many friends over there, some are looking for ways out because they're concerned about maintenance practices (among other reasons). Then again, those were the same guys who would b*tch constantly about the condition of the airplanes when I was instructing with them. Sometimes you just have to make the best out of what you're given.

Ok, I'll try to head off the bashing. I have deadheaded on Colgan several times and have never had any issues with their operation. The crews were freindly and the flights ran mostly on time....... Maybe I got lucky but hey...so good so far.

Perhaps Routine?

Alchemy said:
I deadheaded on them the other day, things seem to run fine (although the plane was met by mechanics after we arrived, probably glad I don't know what went wrong).
Never occur to you that they could be doing routine maintenance? There are daily checks that need to be done by mechanics on the Saab. It probably never affected the operation.

Just an observation, why is it most of they guys on here who like to bash the Colgan IAH operation have E145 in their profile? Not necessarily the guys on this thread, but in general. Perhaps feeling threatened? Just a thought.

Nah, I doubt it was routine maintenance since the captain was out there chatting it up pretty good with the mechanic. But hey, maybe it was, I don't know.

I have nothing against Colgan, and as best I can tell, the operation is probably going pretty smoothly now in IAH.

Insecure, yes definitely. I wish that we were flying the props at our company, but that obviously isn't in the cards. Enjoy the CAL flying while it lasts, they seem to enjoy changing regional partners every 3-4 years. Skywest - X. Expressjet - X. Colgan - ?.

Learn Some History

Alchemy said:
Nah, I doubt it was routine maintenance since the captain was out there chatting it up pretty good with the mechanic. But hey, maybe it was, I don't know.

I have nothing against Colgan, and as best I can tell, the operation is probably going pretty smoothly now in IAH.

Insecure, yes definitely. I wish that we were flying the props at our company, but that obviously isn't in the cards. Enjoy the CAL flying while it lasts, they seem to enjoy changing regional partners every 3-4 years. Skywest - X. Expressjet - X. Colgan - ?.

Chatting it up? You don't talk to your mechanics? I know I do, even when they're there for routine maintenance I go out and talk with them.

As for changing carriers, you can't even compare. Skywest voluntarily gave up that contract. They didn't even bid on it again. The route CAL wanted to go with it wasn't where they wanted, so they parted. Expressjet flies RJs, and like the other operators of RJs there's a lot of changes going on there. Colgan flies turboprops, a market that is making a strong comeback for obvious reasons. I don't think we have much to worry about.

Im not bashing Colgan, but the IAH operation is/was messed up. With 6 flights leaving at one time with one gate and one bus, its a cluster. Im sure its CAL running things there.

Latest resources

Back